TRANSFERS: GAZETTED OFFICERS
The Inspector General of Police has in accordance with the provisions of Article 213 of the Constitution and Section 5 of the Police Act created a new position under his office of an Assistant Inspector General of Police responsible for Peace Support Operations, and with immediate effect appointed and transferred Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIGP) Grace Turyagumanawe as the AIGP/ Peace Support Operations. He will be Deputized by SCP Farouk Muyirima formerly Deputy Commandant Kampala Metropolitan Police. CP Irungu Moses is transferred to the new office and atEast African Standby Force to be based in a joint UPDF/UPF office in Jinja.
The functions for the office of AIGP/ Peace Support Operations are as follows;
1. In line with the UN Charter and Security Council Resolutions to ensure and prepare the Uganda Police Force to effectively fulfill Uganda’s Regional and International obligations in Peace Support Operations.
2. Develop a policy for Uganda Police Force in respect to Peace Support Operations.
3. In particular develop systems, plans and procedures for effective peace
4. Ensure that Uganda Police Force participates actively and effectively in the East African Standby Force.
5. In close coordination with the Director Human Resource Administration, develop the capacity and capabilities in the Uganda Police Force and prepare the Force to participate in Peace Support Operations. And to further monitor and coordinate recruitment, pre-deployment training and deployments of manpower for Peace Mission Operations. In particular coordinate, monitor and evaluate selection, training and deployment of Formed Police Units (FPUs)support operations in liaison with the African Union and United Nations.
6. Liaise with Missions and UN Headquarters-Department of Peace Keeping Operations (DPKO) on manpower requirements.
7. Develop a work plan and budget for peace support operations.
8. Develop a data base on Human Resource, equipment, deployments and infrastructure concerning Peace Support Operations.
9. Create awareness and marketing of operations of Peace Support Operations in Uganda.
10. Regularly inspect troops in UN/AU Mission Areas.
11. Carry out any other activities which from time to time will be assigned to the office in respect of Peace Support Operations.The Peace Support Operations function previously under the Directorate of Interpol and International Relations is hereby transferred to this office.
The IGP wishes them the best of luck in their new assignment.
Press and Public Relations Officer
Uganda Police Force