- Make sure all doors and windows are closed and locked with heavy duty padlocks.
- all lights around the premises should be switched on starting 6pm in the evening till 7.am, everyday,
- Ensure extra safety tools like safety chains and padlocks are mounted in places likely to be broken, like the gates and door grills.
- Make sure your neighbors know that you are leaving the house and give them contacts in case of emergency.
- All valuable items like jewelries, cash and gadgets are kept in a store, safe before leaving the house.
- Stop daily or weekly deliverable during your absence to avoid alerting criminals.
- Inform your nearest police station or post about your absence, avail your contacts, departure and arrival.
- Do not leave the access keys, in the flowers above the door or under the door carpet.
- Keep ladders and other tools away in safe places.
- Ensure the home environment around you, bushes, lodges; trees do not become hiding places for c criminals.
- Ensure your CCTV is working.
- do not advertise on social media that you are traveling or away
- Have you car checked before leaving on a long road trip. ensure your tool box and spare wheel are okay
- do not drink and drive
- Avoid texting while driving. it distracts attention
- observe the rules of the road, as most accidents tend to occur during the holiday season
- plan your route carefully
- do not pickup strangers or take a lift from them
- Always park in safe areas.
- Always attend to your luggage.
- Constantly check your mirrors and surroundings to ensure you are not being followed. If suspicious, drive to the nearest police station or phone for help.
- always keep car doors and windows closed at all times
- When approaching your gate or home, make sure no suspicious persons or vehicles are near your gate.
- avoid driving or walking alone at night
- Avoid parking next to vans, cars with tinted windows or trucks.
- never leave your car with the motor running
- Always locate your car keys prior to going to your car.
- Keep a secure hold on your purse, handbag and parcels. Do not put them, down or on top of the car while opening the door.
- while approaching or leaving your vehicle , be aware of your surroundings ,
- Ask mall or store security for an escort before leaving your shopping location.
- top up your airtime and carry extra phone batteries , charging system
- When hiring taxis or boda-boda, use reliable services recommended.
- avoid dark and isolated places at night
- always carry your wallet in the front pocket
- Report lost or stolen items to the police immediately.
- always obtain information about areas that are safe or unsafe to visit
- When decorating, follow packaging directions for decorative lights. unplug all electrical when leaving the housed
- do not overload electrical circuits and outlets
- Take extra caution with candles and do not place them near flammable items or leave them unattended.
- Avoid loud music. it attracts burglars
- When cooking, avoid splashing cooking oil and keep flammable items like towels away.
AT HOTELS OR GUEST HOUSES.
- do not allow strangers into your room
- hand your keys and valuables at the reception whenever you leave your room
WHILE AT AN ATM
- Choose one in a secure and well lightened location , withdraw only the amount of cash you need
- Protect your pin by shielding the keypad from anyone next to you.
- do not throw your ATM receipt at any location
ACP Polly Namaye
Uganda Police Force