Between 2011 and December 2021, the Uganda Police Force through the Directorate of Criminal Investigations handled a number of high-profile cases namely;
- Attacks on Security Personnel between September and December, 2021, where 06 police officers and 02 UPDF Officers were 04 Police Officers were killed, 02 UPDF Officers seriously injured and 08 guns robbed, out of which 04 were recovered. These cases are;
- Murder by Shooting of No. 30384 CPL Okech Alfred and No. 43619 PC Kigongo Moses and Aggravated Robbery of Two
- Attacks on Security Personnel between September and December, 2021, where 06 police officers and 02 UPDF Officers were 04 Police Officers were killed, 02 UPDF Officers seriously injured and 08 guns robbed, out of which 04 were recovered. These cases are;
Riffles in Mityana District. 15 suspects are arrested as inquiries continue,
- Attempted Murder of RA 263590 Pte. Okiror David and RA 266021 Pte. Okirima Emmanuel aggravated robbery of two SMG rifles along Hoima Road in Wakiso District. Cases is still under inquiry,
- Murder by Shooting of NO. 22569 Sgt. Emuria Gideon and Aggravated Robbery of a rifle vide Soroti CRB 1056/2021. Under inquiry,
- Murder by Shooting of No. 44109 CPL. Agaba Richard and Aggravated Robbery of a Rifle while responding to a robbery in Mbarara City. The gun was recovered after having been used 07 incidents of aggravated robbery and murder. Two suspects were arrested and one UPDF deserter shot dead,
- Murder by Shooting of No. 43649 CPL Nsubuga Francis and No. 2007 SPC Ddimba Paul and Aggravated Robbery of two SMG rifles at Nakasozi Police Post in Kiboga District. Six suspects were arrested and the two guns
- Terrorist attacks between October and December, 2021 by suspected ADF terrorist groups within Kampala and other parts of the country that led to death of 04 civilians, one Police Officer and 06 suspected ADF terrorists Killed. 42 suspects have been arrested and are at different stages of trial in courts of law. The cases are;
- Bomb Blast at Kwata Zone, Komamboga Ward, Kawempe Division in Kampala where one person was killed and three others injured,
- Suspected Terror Attack on SWIFT BUS Reg. No. UAU 989T along Kampala Masaka Road at Lungala LC 1 in Mpigi District where one person suspected to be a suicide bomber died and another one injured,
- Explosion of an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) targeting a police vehicle along Katwe Kabatoro Road near Nyamunuka Lake. One police officer was injured and the car got minor damages, and
- Twin bomb explosion at CPS Kampala, Raja Chambers and Jubilee Insurance Building Along Parliamentary Avenue where 01 police officer, 02 civilians and 03 suspected suicide bombers died on
- 19 Murder cases in Greater Masaka Region – Masaka and Lwengo Districts where 26 persons were killed, 22 suspects arrested and charged to court and
- Kidnap and Murder of the Acting Chairman NRM-Ntoroko District vide Fort Portal CRB 767/2021 where three suspects were arrested, confessed, charged to court and
- Attempted murder of Gen. Edward Katumba Wamala and murder by shooting of Nantongo Brenda Wamala and No. RA/175389 SGT Haruna Kayondo Vide Kiira Road CRB 424/2021. Seven suspects were arrested, charged to court and remanded.
- Murder of 05 women and one baby in Nakulabye by Musaasizi Musa alias Uncle resident of Nakulabye, Mujomba Zone 6 in Rubaga Division Kampala. He confessed to have killed his girlfriends and burnt their bodies using paraffin and petrol, and led police to various scenes where he had dumped the victims. The suspect was charged to court and remanded.
- Murder by Shooting to the prejudice of No. 500 SPC Mubiru Hussein, No. 169 SPC Karungi Moses and Sengozi Edward vide Mulago CRB 225/2017
- Aggravated Robbery and Murder of Archie Rwego vide Kira Division CRB 736/2018, where three suspects were arrested, charged to court and are on committal to High Court,
- Murder by shooting of ASP Kirumira Muhammad and Resty Mbabazi alias Nalinya vide Bulenga CRB 127/2018 where two suspects were arrested, charged to court and are on Committal to High
- Murder by shooting of Hon Abiriga Ibrahim and Pte. Kongo Saidi vide Kawempe CRB 599/2018. Case is still under investigations.
- Murder by shooting to the prejudice of Joan Namazi Kagezi vide Kiwatule CRB 026/2015. Case is still under investigations.
- Murder by shooting to the prejudice of Major Mohammed Kiggundu and Sgt Mukasa Steven vide old Kampala CRB 1116/2016 where seven suspects were charged and committed to High Court for
- Murder by shooting to the prejudice of AIGP Andrew Felix Kaweesi, No. 47113 Cpl Erau Keneth and No. 60687 C/Drv Wambewa Godfrey vide Kira Road CRB 222/2017 where eight suspects were charged to court and are on committal to High
- Kidnap with intent to procure a ransom and murder to the prejudice of Susan Magara vide old Kampala CRB 141/2018. Nine suspects were arrested, charged to court and remanded.
- Kidnap and murder of five women/female juveniles at Old Taxi Park in Kampala, among others. Six suspects were charged to court and are on committal to High Court. The kidnaps are;
- Kidnap and Murder of Rehema Nabwanika Halima vide old Kampala CRB 585/2018,
- Kidnap and Murder of Nakiseka Rose vide Old Kampala CRB 499/2018,
- Kidnap and Murder of Kyohairwe Charity vide Katwe CRB 487/2018,
- Kidnap and Murder of Nalule Milly Drinah vide CPS Kampala CRB 676/2018, and
- Kidnap of Nakasujja Shamsa vide CPS Kampala CRB 718/2018. The victim escaped from her captors and led to their
- Murder of Joshua Nteireho Rushegyera and Merina Tumukunde vide Entebbe CRB 987/2019. One suspect was charged to court and on committal to High
- Kidnap and Murder of Nagirinya Maria Gateni and Kitayimbwa Ronnie vide Katwe CRB 1422/2019 where 07 suspects were charged to court and are on committal to High Court for trial,
- Nansana CRB 343/2019 Murder of four people, Attempted Murder of six others and aggravated robbery of Ugx 385,000,000 at cheap hardware store. 07 suspects were arrested in the case of Attempted Murder of Hon. Gen. Edward Katumba Wamala and Murder by Shooting of Nantongo Brenda Wamala and RA/175389 SGT Haruna Kayondo Vide Kiira Road CRB 424/2021, and confessed having participated in the robbery,
- Kanyanya CRB 152/2019 murder and aggravated robbery of unspecified amount of money,
- Aggravated Robberies of Mobile Money Agents, Murder of four, Attempted Murder of six Police Officers within Kampala Metropolitan Area and Mbale by organized criminal syndicates in 2019. Two guns were recovered, four suspects arrested, charged to court and are on committal to High Court for Trial. The cases are;
- Murder by shooting of walugembe Raphael and aggravated robbery of Ugx. 610,000/- to the prejudice of Mwesigwa Mugongo vide Nateete CRB 359/2019. Case still under
- Aggravated Robbery to the prejudice of Osuma Kaya a Turkish National vide Katwe CRB 935/2019. Cases under
- Aggravated Robbery of Ugx. 18,000,000/- to the prejudice of Nalukwago Sanyu, a Mobile Money and Banking agent with Equity and Centenary Bank vide Kajjansi CRB 317/2019. Under inquiry.
- Aggravated Robbery and Murder by shooting of 32831 D/Sgt. Chemonges Fred vide Mbale CRB 873/2019 where four suspects were charged to General Court Martial, convicted and sentenced to death by hanging
- Aggravated Robbery of Ugx. 7,000,000/- and Murder of Nakabubi Moureen and Nalwadda Harriet, both Mobile Money agents Makindye Sabagabo vide Katwe CRB 916/2019.
Forensic analysis of the two rifles and cartridges recovered from Masanafu vide Old Kampala CRB 143/2019 linked all the four incidents. Four suspects were arrested and confessed participation in the robberies, murder of a Flying Squad Police Officer in Mbale on the 16th May 2019 and the injuries of four other officers.
- Lyantonde murders by shooting where six lives were lost. Three suspects were arrested, charged to the General Court Martial where they were convicted and sentenced to
- Defilement of School Children in both primary and secondary schools by teachers in 2019, in Mpigi, Kampala and Wakiso Districts among others. The victims are between 05-17 years, both girls and One suspect, Mpagi Didas alias Baluku, a Pastor/Head Teacher of Real Infant Primary School in Wakiso was convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment.
- Murder of Wamala Wilberforce and Sadiq Mugerwa-the shamba boy Jinja Road CRB 446/2012, and subsequent alleged suicide in a police cell by Hassim Ssali in Bukasa Police
- Sudden death of Terasvouri Thomas Juha Peterri a finish National vide CPS Kampala CRB 218/2018 at Pearl of Africa Five suspects were arrested for allegedly procuring contaminated narcotic drugs suspected to have caused death of the victim. They were charged to court and three are on committal to High Court for trial.
- Sudden death of Sebastiano Axel, a Swedish National at Sheraton Hotel 12th Floor, room 1234 vide CPS Kampala CRB 250/2018. Forensic analysis of samples tested positive for narcotic drugs. Case still under inquiry.
- Murder of 10 women in Nansana, Kakiri and 12 women in Entebbe where 22 suspects were arrested and charged to court, of whom, 02
were convicted and sentenced, 16 are committed to High Court for Trial while 04 were acquitted.
- Treason involving Rwandan Nationals vide Rwizi E/053/2017, where
45 persons were intercepted at Kikagati Border Point with forged temporary travel documents allegedly issued by Immigration in Isingiro District. They were travelling to Burundi to allegedly acquire military training so as to fight the Government of Rwanda. They were being recruited from the areas of Nakivale-Isingiro, Kyankwanzi, and Kakumiro Districts by one Musoni Geoffrey and others.
09 suspects are pending trial in Mbarara Prison.
- Murder of Sheikhs and other prominent persons in Kampala Metropolitan Area, Busoga Region and Elgon Region. 14 Sheikhs were killed, 51 suspects arrested, 36 charged to
In the murder of Tito Okware, Sheikh Ductoor Muwaya, Four Police Officers and others by suspected ADF in Busoga Region between 2012
– 2015, Jamil Mukulu and 37 others were arrested, charged to court and are on pretrial.
In Kampala Metropolitan Area, in the murder of Shrikh Abubakar Kiwewa, one suspect was arrested, charged to court and remanded. In the murder of Sheikh Ibrahim Kirya and Shekh Mustafa Bahiga, Shekh Yunus Kamoga and 10 others were arrested and charged with Terrorism and Murder in the International Crimes Division of the High Court. Kamoga Mohamad Yunus, Kawooya Siraji and Ssekayana
Abdulsalam were convicted of Terrorism and sentenced to life imprisonment while Hakim Kinene, Kakande Yusufu, Murta Bukenya were convicted of Terrorism and sentenced to 35 years impressment.
- Murder of 13 people by Kidawalime Abdul, Galiwango Musa and five others in Greater Masaka Region between January 2017 and January 2018. Kidawalime was murdered by mob while Galiwango Musa was arrested, charged to court and on committal to High Court for
- Eight cases of ADF in Western Uganda which were committed between 1996 and early 2005 where civilians were brutally murdered, tortured, abducted, gender-based violence offences against abducted women and girls and property
Investigations of these cases commenced from the time of the initial attacks and have since been on-going. Some of the rebels captured were charged with treason and were granted amnesty and some are now integrated in the armed forces of the government. However, the leaders including Jamil Mukulu were at large. Jamil Mukulu was then put on the International Warrant of Arrest. In 2015 Jamil Mukulu and two others were arrested from Tanzania and extradited to Uganda for trial under the Busoga Killings.
- Murder of Ssebunya Eriya Kasiwukira vide Kabalagala CRB 1452/2014. Two suspects were charged to court and convicted,
- Kabalagala CRB 3618/2012, Sudden Death of Hon. Cerinah Nebanda, Woman MP for Butaleja. 06 suspects charged to court, 02 convicted and served their sentences while 04 were acquitted
- 2010 twin bombings in Kampala, 79 people were killed. 15 suspects were charged to court, 10 were convicted and 05 were
- Murder of Juvenal Nsenga, allegedly by his wife, Jacky Nsenga. Accused charged to court and
- Between January, 2018 and December, 2020, Organised Criminal Syndicates committed heinous crimes within the regions of Kampala Metropolitan Policing Area, Greater Masaka, Iganga, Njeru, Jinja, Rwenzori east, namayingo, Mbale and other
With well guided investigations, 35 criminal syndicates were identified and dismantled.
Before these criminal syndicates were busted, they had;
- Shot and killed 39 people,
- Hacked to death 01 person
- Shot and injured 16 people,
- Cut and Injured 01 person,
- Defiled 06 female juveniles under the age of 15 years,
- Kidnapped 14 people,
- Robbed; 99,831,000, 03 guns, 20 mobile phones, 07 motor vehicles, 12 pieces of African fabrics, 06 hoes, 02 handbags, 05
cartons of Leading waragi, 05 pairs of gumboots, 04 flat screen TV sets, 02 Laptops, 01 iPad, 01 camera and 01 CCTV system and,
- Kidnapped 13
After busting and dismantling these criminal syndicates;
- 45 members of these criminal groups were arrested, charged to court and remanded,
- Recovered 10 guns, 46 rounds of ammunitions, 06 motor vehicles, 03 motorcycles, 04 mobile phones, 01 mobile money tab and 02 laptop bags, and
- Impounded 03 motor vehicles used by
Some of the Criminal Syndicates dismantled are, among others;
i. Usafi Mosque Criminal Syndicate:
The syndicate comprised of the ‘Amir” Ismailah Bukenya, the “Imam” Mahad Kisalita, Yakub Hausi Byensi, Yusuf Lubega, Hussein Wasswa, Muzamiru Ssali, Hajara Nakandi (The only female), Abubaker Kyewolwa, Hassan Kato Miiro, Abbas Musa Buvumbo, Abdul Hakim Lugolobi and Mahad Kasozi. They were hiding under an Islamic Sect based at Usafi Mosque, Usafi Taxi Park, Luzige Zone, Mengo II Parish, Rubaga Division, in the Kampala District.
Before being dismantled, the syndicated had committed the following crimes;
- Kidnap and Murder of Susan Magara after demanding and receiving ransom of USD 200,000,
- Trafficking in persons involving 159 children that were found kept at Usafi Mosque under the pretext of teaching them Islam,
- Some members were arrested in an ISIS camp that was busted by Mozambique Security,
- Aggravated Defilement of six female juveniles, and
Ten suspects were arrested, charged to court and committed to High Court for trial.
ii. Kidnap and Murder Criminal Syndicate of Old Taxi Park:
The group comprised of the Witch Doctor Ssalongo Ddumba, Mugabi Kamada Shakur, Oloo John Bosco Alias Okello Kifeesi and Lukwago Herbert Ssalongo. They would disguise as Taxi Guides at Wandegeya Bukoto Stage, Old Taxi Park, Kampala Central Division in Kampala District. Between March and May 2018, the syndicate kidnapped Women/Female Juveniles for purposes of procuring a ransom, sexual assault and human sacrifice.
Before being busted, the group had kidnapped 05 female victims, of 04
Six (6) suspects were arrested charged of Kidnap with intent to demand Ransom, Murder and Defilement. They have since been committed to High Court for trial
iii. Galiwango Musa and Kidawalime Muhammad:
They operated in the villages of Kisaaka in Lwengo District and Kisojo A in Bukomansibi District.
Before dismantling, the group had murdered three persons and injured others, committed burglary & theft and attempted rape.
The two criminals were arrested but later escaped from court. They were busted for the second time where Kidawalime was murdered by mob while Galiwango Musa was arrested, charged to court and on committal to High Court for trial.
iv. Serugo Paul Greater Masaka Armed Criminal Syndicate:
This armed criminal group was led by one Serugo Paul, a UPDF soldier attached to UPDF Marines who allegedly took off with an SMG rifle from the armory at Marine Base, teamed up with three others namely; Byakatonda Joseph, Kawadwa Matia, and Katerega Quraisi. In the month of March 2018, the group terrorized residents of Sembabule, Rakai, Lyantonde, Lwengo and Masaka.
Before dismantling, the group had shot and murdered 04 person and robbed 03 guns. 06 suspects were arrested and charged to court of which 03 pleaded guilty, convicted and sentenced to forty years imprisonment by the General Court Martial. 03 rifles and 49 rounds of ammunition, Ugx. 50,000,000/- and assorted electronics were recovered.
v. Senge Wakiso – Kiboga Criminal Syndicate:
This syndicate consisted of Ssentongo Kenneth alias Ken, Zziwa Henry alias Sanya, Byamukama Julius, Mwesigwa Musisi alias Afande Maazi, Kabanda Thomas alias Timothy, Kusemererwa Wilson, Muko Ian and Mweru Ian. The group normally armed with dangerous weapons like pick axe, pangas and
breaking implements like big burglar cutter and sharpened wheel spanner. The gang was dismantled as follows;
- Police followed the thugs and some exhibits recovered namely motor vehicle Reg No UAX 418K Toyota Klugger, one microwave, one cannon camera, one DVD player, one Techno phone, one flat iron, one gas cylinder, a flat screen Toshiba TV set, kitchen utensils and an assortment of clothes
- Five suspects namely Mulimira Falshani, Kakooza Sharifu, Kakumba Wilber, Mukwaya Robert and Sanda Richard were arrested from Nansana in Wakiso, Ssekanonyi and Mpirigwa villages in Mityana District and Bukomero Town Council in Kiboga District. These were charged and remanded at Kiboga
- Four other suspects namely; Kabanda Tomasi, Musasizi Joram, Mwesigwa Kerementi alias Musisi and another were arrested from Kampala These suspects had other cases of aggravated robbery committed from Wakiso where they were charged and remanded to Kigo Prison.
vi. ASP Kirumira Muhammad and Naalinya Resty Murder Syndicate:
Comprised of four men armed with two AK47 rifles and moving on two numberless motorcycles.
Two suspects were arrested, one charged to court and remanded.
One, Jamil Muwonge and 12 others were arrested with assorted explosives commonly used for making Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs). Muwonge confessed of belonging to ADF rebel group and the exhibits were destined
to for ADF in the Democratic Republic of Congo. They were charged to court and are on committal to High Court for trial.
vii. Attack on Investors by Groups of Organised Criminal Syndicate:
In 2018, a total of 52 cases were reported where foreign and local investors/factories were attacked by a group of organised syndicate criminals. They would move in groups armed with dangerous weapons. The offences reported were aggravated robbery, murder, simple robbery, house breaking and theft. Out of these, 17 cases were still under inquiry by the end of the year, 03 cases had suspects committed to High Court, 15 cases were still pending in court, 05 cases secured convictions.
During investigations, a total of 96 suspects have so far been arrested, out of whom 48 were charged to court, 26 remanded, 04 convicted, 05 suspects had their case put away, 09 released on bail while 39 suspects are yet to be produced in court. 03 robbers were shot dead at Biyinzika International-Mukono District.
viii. Mawa Muzamiru Criminal Syndicate:
This group was involved in the murder of Ekulungar Francis, Chief Accountant with Case Medical Centre, theft of motor vehicle Reg No. UAW 899U Toyota Premio, Ugx. 8,305,500 and USD 9,000.
Four suspects were arrested. These are Mawa Muzamiru, Resty Nalunga, Deogratious Yiga and Huzairu Kiwalabye. They were charged to court, convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment. the stolen motor vehicle was also recovered.
ix. Nkuruziza Sam criminal syndicate:
This group operated in areas of Ntungamo, Old Kampala and Buloba. This group comprised of Kalenzi Rodgers 27yrs, Nuwagaba Obadia 47yrs, Nkurunziza Sam 49yrs, Tumwine Augustine 35yrs, Bahati Fred and Mbogo.
- Killed three people,
- Robbed Ugx. 15,917,000, eight mobile phones, six hoes, 12 pieces of African fabrics, two hand bags, and,
- Injured two people.
All the six members were arrested, charged of murder and aggravated robbery pending trial in the General Court Martial.
02 rifles, 17 rounds of ammunition, 03 motorcycles, facial masks and 02
laptop bags suspected to be used for carrying the guns were revered.
x. Kasolo Coporiyamu criminal syndicate:
This group comprised Kasolo Coporiyamu alias Arsenal 27yrs, Lubega Johnson alias Ettoo alias Manomano alias Rasta 20yrs, Kalyango Nasif alias Muwonge 22yrs, Kiseka Hassan alias Masada 29yrs, Kateregga Sadat alias Baros, Mpanga Sharif alias Shafiq, Okori Raymond alias Marcos, Isaac Kikyusa, and Fred. This group kidnapped and murdered Nagirinya Maria Gateni and Kitayimbwa Ronnie, and robbed Ugx. 284,000 from the victims’ Mobile Money accounts
07 suspects were arrested, charged to court and are committed to High Court for trial.
xi. Ssemivumbi Muize criminal syndicate (Greater Masaka)
This criminal gang operated in the areas of Nyendo and Masaka between February and May, 2019. It carried out series of aggravated robberies. The group consisted of Ssemivumbi Muize alias Asuman, Safari Innocent alias Ndagijimana Donatien (Congolese National) and Ndagije Christopher. They were later identified, arrested and charge to General Court Martial pending hearing of their cases. One rifle was recovered. By the time the group was busted, they had committed eight cases in the areas they operated.
- Shot and killed two people,
- Shot and injured three people, and
- Robbed Ugx. 30,005,000, two phones, three motor
xii. Ssezibwa/Kampala/Romi wine/Kyengera Syndicate:
This criminal gang carried out robberies in Kampala, Wakiso, Buikwe-Njeru Town Council, Masaka, Gulu, Arua, Paidah, Kagadi, Mbale, Palisa, Busia, Kyegegwa and Kyenjojo. It comprised of Lubega Swaibu alias Matovu Latif alias Tifu alias Semigo, Juma Sekayingo, Sembatya Fred alias Kemigisha alias Zed alias 2Pac, Lwanga Painento alias Brian and Kyagaba Ivan alias Julius.
The group robbed Ugx. 2,100,000, four motor vehicles, two guns, two flat screen TV Sets, three mobile phones, one laptop, one camera and one Ipad. They were later identified, arrested and charged to court.
04 guns and three robbed motor vehicles recovered and also three motor vehicles owned by the gang were impounded.
xiii.Queen Elizabeth National Park Criminal Syndicate
The group began as poachers in the Queen Elizabeth National Park, graduated into Kidnap and Robbery on tourists, business community exporting goods through the Park and kidnap of local people for ransom. It was under the command of Byamukama Alex alias Maimoto alias Dunia. Other members of the group include; Memory Derick alias Alinitwe, Saturday Alex, Byaruhanga Alex, Oleria and Kasongo.
At the climax of their criminal activity, the group kidnapped and American tourist and Ugandan tour guide, held them in DRC. They demanded for ransom in US Dollars.
The group had in total;
- Kidnapped nine people including Kimbley Sue Endecott, an American tourist and the driver one Jean Paul. They released the victims after receiving a ransom of USD 30,000.
- Robbed one gun, and
- Shot and injured one
The group was later identified, some member arrested and it disintegrated. Byamukama Alex alias Maimoto alias Dunia is currently in prison in Kinshasa
– DRC, Oleria and Kasongo are at their homes in Goma in the DRC, while Byaruhanga crossed to Rwanda.
Two gang members, one Memory Derick alias Arinitwe was arrested from the Democratic Republic of Congo and transferred to Uganda for trial while Byamukama Alex alias Maimoto was arrested, sentenced to imprisonment for unestablished period.
xiv. Wanyama Robert Wafula Jackson alias Wakodo Criminal Syndicate (Jan-Oct, 2020)
This criminal group operated in the areas of Bugembe, Walukoba, Masese and Mafubira in Jinja, and areas of Mbale.
The group comprised of Wanyama Robert Wafula Jackson alias Wakodo 40yrs, a carpenter of Namutumba Central Ward A, Namutumba District, Kasablank Umar, Muyinda Moses Kawangunzi, Nabirye Zubeda and Mbwali Brenda. They were specialized in Kidnap, Trafficking in Persons, Robbery and Rape of their female victims.
Before their arrest, the group had;
- Kidnaped and trafficked 15 victims (13 females and 02 males),
- Raped 08 victims, and
- Demanded for ransom amounting to Ugx. 6,000,000 and received ransom of Ugx. 1,135,000.
Four members of this criminal group were arrested, charged to court and remanded, and the 15 victims (13 females and 02 males) all rescued.
xv. Bwambale Saidi alias Sirah Criminal Syndicate:
This group was in operation between 2012 and 2020. It consisted of, Bwambale Saidi alias Sirah, Saturday Pedson, Kibaya Desire, Magidu Fahad, Muhindo Geoffrey alias Kibone, Muhindo Ezekel, Baluku Yusufu alias Kanyonyi and Masereka Laurence. They operated in the Districts of Kasese, Bundibugyo and Bunyangabu.
By the time the group was dismantled, they had;
- Shot and killed four persons, and
- Robbed Ugx. 4,000,000 and three
- Three guns; AK 47 No. 2139-1999, AK 47 No. 561-3603452 with
02 rounds and AK47 No. 561-2306952 with no rounds were recovered,
- Three of the group members; Fahad Majid, Muhindo Ezekiel and Muhindo Geoffrey alias Kibone are facing court martial while Baluku Yusufu alias Kanyonyi was killed,
xvi. Kawoya Muhammed alias Buchurch Criminal Syndicate:
This group was led by one Kawoya Muhammed alias Buchurch and operated in the areas of Mayuge, Naggalama in Mukono, Masaka, Mityana, Mpigi and Nansana, and were operational between May and June, 2020. Other members of the group are Kisakye Wasswa alias Tom, Tonny Mayanja Tomusange alias Tom, Kavuma Sam alias Salongo, Mukasa Mark, Sejjemba Jamil, Kigozi Hakim, Kakooza Isma and Bukenya Isma alias Mulefu.
- Ten of the group members were arrested, charged to court, remanded at Kitalya Prison and the case is committed to High court awaiting trial,
- Motor vehicle No. UAW 197M used by the thugs impounded, and
- Robbed rifle Reg. No. UG PSO W0817-08591
xvii. KMP North – Savannah Criminal Syndicate:
This criminal group operated in the areas of Matugga, Bombo, Kikyusa, Migeera, Wobulenzi, Luweero and Nakasongola, headed by No. RA 155614 Private Olega Mansoor alias Muko 35yrs, a UPDF deserter and R/O Nkokonjeru Cell, Bombo Town Council in Luwero District. He was the gun man in all the above scenes and source of the gun. He recruited Kisule Stephen with whom they first met in Butuntumula Prisons in Luwero.
Other members included;
- Kisule Stephen 38yrs, a Mason and R/O Matugga Mabanda zone in Wakiso
- Yiga Rashid alias Mucholi 40yrs, peasant and R/O Buvuma village, kyamboga parish, Kakooge Sub County in Nakasongola District.
- Mwanje Rogers 24yrs, Boda Boda rider and R/O Buvuma village, Kyambogo parish Kakooge Sub County in Nakasongola District,
- Mawejje Samale, Bodaboda rider and R/O Busiga Kalagala Sub County in Luwero District, and
- Nagazi Robina, wife to Kisule Stephen and R/O Mabanda zone, Matugga in Wakiso District. She was the custodian of the
Before the group was dismantled after committing 20 crimes, they had;
- Shot and killed six persons,
- Shot and injured six persons, and
- Robbed Ugx. 23,700,000, 242 mobile phones, one motorcycle, one Dell computer and one
The group members were arrested, charged and remanded, SMG rifle UG- UPDF 48003239 with no magazine, Pistol UG- UPDF with two magazines one loaded with 15 rounds and another with two rounds of ammunitions recovered.
- There were also key convictions which were secured during the year where the accused were sentenced to death, and between 20 – 60 years imprisonment. The cases are;
- Katwe CRB 916/2019, where Nakabubi Moreen and Nalwadda Harriet, both mobile money agents were murdered and robbed at Zzana in June, 2019. Four suspects were charged to court and sentenced to death by hanging by the General Court
- Masaka CRB 621/2018, where there was a robbery at Muto Hardware in July, 2018 and two people were killed. Seven suspects were charged, four sentenced to death and three others to between 40-60 years imprisonment by the General Court
- Rakai CRB 123/2018 and Ssembabule CRB 135/2018, where three people were murdered and valuable items robbed. Five suspects were
charged to court and were convicted to between 50 and 60 years imprisonment by the General Court Martial.
- CPS Kampala CRB 1471/2015, where one, Betty Donah Katushabe was murdered at Pine Car Bond along Lumumba Avenue. Seven suspects were charged to court and convicted to 40 years imprisonment and to compensate the family of the deceased with UGX. 100,000,000.
- Entebbe CRB 627/2017 where Zakanya Donati was raped and murdered in 2017. One suspect, ssenoga George William alias Kidomole was charged to court and sentenced to 25 years imprisonment.
- Nansana CRB 356/2017 where Nansubuga Patricia alias Proscovia was raped, murdered and her phone robbed in One suspect, Kawesa Ibrahim alias Tetemwe was charged to court and sentenced to life imprisonment.
- Success was registered in a number of cases during the year with the support from anti-crime infrastructure especially the use of CCTV and forensic analysis in cases where fire arms were used;
Seven cases including the Kidnap and Murder of Nagirinya Maria Gateni and Kitayimba were supported by CCTV evidence.
Recovered firearms, cartridges and bullet heads from scenes of crime where criminal gangs terrorized the community in Ntungamo, Lyantonde, Kampala, Wakiso and other areas were analyzed by the forensic experts and connected/placed the suspects at the different scenes of crime.
- Some organized criminal gangs armed with dangerous weapons other than firearms like pangas, iron bars, big pliers, hammers, knives and ropes in groups of between five to fifteen attack homes/residences. In the majority of the cases, they robbed valuable items like motor vehicles, electronics, cash and in some isolated cases, female victims were They would use the robbed motor vehicles to transport the robbed items and sometimes abandon the motor vehicles.
- Following numerous incidents of criminality in the country, especially Kampala Metropolitan Policing area and other parts of the country, with the guidance of His Excellency The President, the police and other security agencies came up with strategies to combat criminality. Some of the strategies were to carry out operations and snap One such operation code-name Tokora, was conducted targeting markets for stolen motorcycles, electronics and vandalized utilities in Kampala Metropolitan.
During the operation, a total of 6,808 electronics and this included 527 laptops, 10 CPU’s, 4 monitors, 38 Hard Drives, 03 Modems, 15 TV sets.
In an operation on motorcycles, 140 motorcycles, 18 motorcycle frames, 20 motorcycle engines and assortment of motorcycle parts
- MAJOR CASES HANDLED BETWEEN 2011 TO DEC, 2021
- ATTACK ON SECURITY PERSONNEL
Incidents of attack on security officers have been on the increase. In the last four months, 08 security personnel (06 UPF and 02 UPDF) were attacked. Four of the Police Officers were murdered while two UPDF Officers were cut and seriously injured. 08 guns robbed in these attacks and so far, only Four have been recovered.
- Busunju CRB 336/2021, Murder by Shooting of Two Police Officers and Aggravated Robbery of Two
On 07/12/2021 at around 1630hrs at Sebobo village, Kabega Parish, Sekanyonyi Town Council in Mityana District, No. 30384 CPL Okech Alfred and No. 43619 PC Kigongo Moses attached to Busunju Police Station were shot dead. It is alleged that the two officers were responding to a scene of alleged robbery where a suspect was allegedly being lynched. This followed a complaint made at Busunju Police Station by alleged victims of the said robbery who identified himself as Kananya Sulaiman aged 20yrs, Muganda, Businessman dealing in tomatoes, resident of Kamu-kamu, Nganda in Nansana.
That on reaching Sebobo village, Kabega Parish, Sekanyonyi Town Council, the two people who purported to be victims turned against the two officers, disarmed them and shot them dead.
Police responded and found the two officers dead, two rifles robbed, two magazines with its ammunitions and paper spray were recovered on the body of PC Kigongo. The canine dog was introduced at the scene and led the dog handle to a bar where people were found drinking in hiding. 15 suspects who were found hiding in a bar have been arrested for questioning. Inquiries at hand and the search for the missing guns underway.
Wakiso Police Division CRB: 802/2021, Attempted Murder of Two UPDF Officers and Aggravated Robbery of Two SMG Rifles
On 25/11/2021 at about 1858hrs at Wakiso New Market along Hoima Road in Wakiso Town, RA 263590 Pte Okiror David and RA 266021 Pte Okirima Emmanuel were attacked by about five people, cut with panga and robbed of their two SMG rifles; UPDF HE1977HE3997 and UPDF 56_6122897 with two magazines and 120 live ammunitions.
It is alleged that the suspects sat on the road side rails near the New Wakiso Market along Hoima Road as if they were waiting for a taxi, immediately the UPDF Officers passed them, suspects about five in number followed them from behind and started cutting the Officers and robbed them of their guns. Action.
Crime scene visited, Canine introduced at the scene but didn’t do much, one robbed SMG UPDF HE1977HE3997 and two magazines with 30 ammunitions each recovered at the scene, two jackets, two shirts suspected to be for suspects recovered. Inquiries ongoing.
Soroti CRB 1056/2021, Murder by Shooting of NO. 22569 Sgt. Emuria Gideon and Aggravated Robbery of Rifle.
On the 30/11/2021 at around 1900hrs at Senior Quarters, Cell “B”, Soroti City West Division, in Soroti District, unknown persons attacked No. 22569 Sgt. Emuria Gideon 58yrs, a Police officer attached to Fire and Rescue Service Brigade at Soroti CPS. The deceased was on his way to his gaurd place while riding a bicycle and was armed with a rifle. The assailants robbed of his rifle No. UG POL. 565836049 and later shot him dead.
It was established that the assailants moved for a distance of about four kilometers from the scene and used a motorcycle towards Moroto road escaping with the said riffle.
The Police track dog was introduced to the scene, it tracked for the assailant but after about four Kilometers it hit a dead end, four cartridges, one live ammunition, a Police cap and a bicycle were recovered.
Mbarara CRB 1220/2021, Murder by Shooting of No. 44109 Cpl. Agaba Richard and Aggravated Robbery of a Riffle.
On 08/09/2021 at around 0200hrs Palm World Hotel Ruharo, No. 44109 Cpl Agaba Richard, the in charge Ruharo Police Post was shot dead. It is alleged that the deceased while on night patrol received a phone call that armed robbers had attacked Step Up Bar in Kiyanja cell, Ruharo ward in Mbarara City. The O.C responded alone to the scene on his personal motorcycle where he found when the thugs had already run away prompting the O.C to pursue the thugs whom they met at Palm World Hotel Ruharo. The two thugs
were armed with a gun and a panga, standing in different positions. The one with a gun shot at the O.C who fell down instantly. The one with a panga then took off with the OC’s rifle No.56582399-32575 with unknown rounds of ammunitions.
Victim was taken to Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital for treatment but later died from Emergency ward before doctors could attend to him.
On 19/10/2021, the riffle UG POL 565823996-32575 which was robbed from Cpl Agaba Richard was later recovered with only 10rounds after a murder and aggravated robbery in Rukungiri. The said rifle was involved in the following crimes;
- Rukungiri CRB 1437/2021, Aggravated Robbery and Murder of Tayebwa Edward 19yrs and Dokuze Daniel 29yrs, a Saracen Security Guard. This took place at For God Electronics along Rubabo Road in which mobile phones valued at Ugx. 50,000,000 was
- Mbarara CRB 1517/2021, Aggravated Robbery of a flat screen V and Ugx. 87,000 belonging to one Kasisi David. This took place at Nyakabungo cell near hotel Triangle in Mbarara City.
- Rubindi CRB 266/2021, Aggravated Robbery of 40 smart phones valued at Ugx. 12,000,000 and cash worth Ugx. 6,000,000. The said property belonged to one Musinguzi Dan of Bwizibwera Town in Mbarara
- Mbarara CRB 1223/2021, Aggravated Robbery at Step Up Bar in Kiyanja Cell, Ruharo Ward in Mbarara City. The robbers beat up one Akampurira Dinah and robbed her phone after failing to get
- Mbarara CRB 1535/2021, Aggravated
- Mbarara 1108/2021, Aggravated Robbery, and
- Mbarara 1186/2021, Aggravated
With well guided investigations and operations against these crimes, The following were arrested;
- Ayebazibwe Kassim 27yrs, Munyankole, Resident of Kamswahili cell in Mbarara City, a born of Rwamatumba 1 cell, Rwamatumba Parish, Migyera Sub County in Rubirizi District,
- Twinomugisha Dominic alias Dogo 19yrs, Mutagwenda and Resident of Katete Central, Mbarara City. He was arrested from Rukungiri District,
- Nshemerierwe He was a UPDF Deserter and was shot dead trying to disarm a Police Officer. According to his colleagues, Nshemerierwe Dick was the mastermind of the gang, he kept the robbed guns and was the seller of the robbed items.
Kiboga CRB 691/2021, Murder by Shooting of No. 43649 Cpl Nsubuga Francis and No. 2007 SPC Ddimba Paul and Aggravated Robbery of Two SMG Riffles
On 16/12/3021 at around 1940hrs at Nakasozi Police Post, Nakasozi Trading Center in Kiboga District, No. 43649 Cpl Nsubuga Francis and No 2007 SPC Ddimba Paul were shot dead by about 04 men dressed in civilian attire and later robbed two SMGs AK47 S/No. UG POL 563625093_13283 and UG POL 565900813_36736 with two magazines containing 30 and 29 ammunitions respectively.
It is alleged on 16/12/3021 at around 1940hrs, about 04 men dressed in civilian attire and speaking Luganda all armed with guns surfaced in Nakasozi trading center. That the public mistook them as security officers enforcing curfew. That they started chasing people from the market to go back home since today was a market day at Nakasozi. That they proceeded to the Police Post and shot dead two officers who were on duty seated outside taking evening tea. That after killing them they proceeded to their rooms and picked their two guns.
That before leaving the center, they told people that they don’t have any problem with them. They only have problem with security officers and their corrupt government. That they are also fighting for the rights of people who are innocently imprisoned by the government.
UPDATE: On the murder of Four Police in Nakasozi – Kiboga and Sebobo village in Mityana District, on 21/12/2021, a joint operation of Uganda Police and UPDF was conducted in Kabosi LC 1, Kabosi ward, Bukuya Town Council where five suspects were arrested in a camp and two robbed guns recovered.
The following were arrested;
- Mulindwa Julius 32yrs, Muganda R/O Bukerekere in Wakiso District,
- Makumbi Mosh alias Engineer R/O Wakiso District,
- Masembe John Nasif 29yrs R/O Kasanda District,
- Yamuremire Paul 19yrs from Kisoro District,
- Ssenyonga Bob Robert 25yrs from Rakai District, and
- Lugendo Stuart Savior alias Kufa Teeka 28yrs R/O Wakiso District
The recovered guns are;
- UG POL 563625093_13283 with one ammunition in the chamber. This was robbed from Kiboga
- UG POL 565900813_36736 with 21 rounds of ammunitions. This was robbed from Mityana
TERRORIST ACTIONS BETWEEN OCT. AND DEC, 2021
Between the months of October 2021 and December 2021, there were a number of terrorist activities by suspected ADF terrorist groups within Kampala and other parts of the country. This led to death of 04 innocent civilians and 06 suspected ADF terrorists killed.
In all the Terror Act, 42 suspects have been arrested and are at different stages of trial in courts of law.
Detailed incidents are as follows;
Kawempe CRB 1373/2021, Bomb Blast at Kwata Zone, Komamboga ward, Kawempe Division in Kampala District.
On 23/20/2021 at 2030hrs along Waligo Road at Kwata Zone Komamboga ward, Kawempe Division in Kampala District, at a pork joint (without name), Suspected bomb blast exploded and killed one only identified as Emily 20yrs old, waitress and injured 3 others namely; Kiconco Annet, ssenyonga Peter and Nakitta Rose.
According to one Nanyonjo Sharon (eye witness), and a waitress at Kibs Pork Joint (neighboring pork joint to crime scene) she narrated that at around 2030hrs, 03 men not known to them appeared as customers however one
of them came along with a black Polythene bag containing unknown items and placed it under the table where customers were having pork.
All the 03 Suspected men first engaged people they found at the joint and ordered for them more pork and drinks.
While there, one Nanyonjo Sharon a waitress asked them to pay and leave the place, but in that confusion, the 03 men disappeared to unknown destination leaving behind the black Polythene bag.
That a few minutes after their disappearance, an explosion occurred.
Scene was visited by Joint Security, SOCO and others. The scene was managed and preserved by team of Bomb squad. The body was taken to City Mortuary Mulago for postmortem. Two victims were evacuated to Mulago for better medical attention as Inquiries continued.
Mpigi CRB 270/2021, Suspected Terror Attack on SWIFT BUS Reg. No. UAU 989T
On 25/10/2021 at around 1600hrs at Lungala LC1, Maziba Ward, Mpigi Town Council in Mpigi District on Kampala-Masaka Road, a suspected bomb exploded in a SWIFT BUS Reg. NO.UAU 989T, loaded with passengers. The bus left Kampala Kisenyi Bus Terminal heading to Ishaka – Bushenyi.
It is alleged that on the way at Maya check point the bus stopped, the driver moved into the traffic office, was registered and came back into the bus. That shortly after a distance of less than two kilometers, a passenger asked the conductor to allow him get out and go back to Kampala because he was needed for paper work of his travel document to abroad.
That later when the bus had moved for about 08 to 10km, at Lungala LC 1, Maziba Ward, Mpigi Town Council in Mpigi District, a big blast suspected to be bomb explosion was heard. One passenger was seen dead in the passenger chair near the window and another one was injured. He was rushed out for treatment.
The dead was identified as Matovu Isaac, a resident of Kamuli A, Kireka, Kiira Municipality in Wakiso District, according to the national identity card found on his body.
The second victim has been identified as SP Kwetegyereza Adrian the Ag RPC Greater Bushenyi who was travelling from Kampala to Bushenyi. He sustained injuries and was rushed to Nsambya Hospital, where he is currently undergoing treatment.
According to the expert, the deceased is responsible or is the one who detonated the bomb.
Katwe Kabatooro SD 21/17/11/2021, IED Bomb Explosion
On 17/11/2021 at round 1530hrs, one ASP Aguta Jimton, DPC Katwe Kabatooro booked out to Katungulu Police Station for other police duties using motor vehicle Reg No. UP 7641 and upon reaching a certain point near Nyamunuka Lake along Katwe – Kabatooro road, a suspected bomb which was planted along the road exploded and the bomb particles/fragments (9 inches nails and other Sharp metallic materials) hit the vehicle and damaged
the wind screen and other parts including one crew officer No. 51334 PC Kato Micheal cheptoris who got some minor injury.
DPC mobilised some personnel’s who visited the scene and confirmed it to be a suspected bomb explosion.
It was observed that;
- There could be someone who was monitoring the movement of the police motor vehicle up to the point where they had planted the bomb,
- The bomb could be locally made and the assailants could have used the remote to explode the bomb as suggested,
- The assailants could have been aiming at any prominent government officials or any other persons who matters because very many vehicles had passed there
The Regional team together with Bomb squad (Counter terrorism) re-visited the scene of suspected Bomb explosion.
The team confirmed it was an IMPROVISED EXPLOSIVE DEVICE (IED) that exploded basing on exhibits left and recovered at the scene of crime.
That the attackers used Semi-remote control/Command wire to detonate the explosive because of the twin wire that was left and recovered at the scene of crime.
CPS Kampala CRB 1685/2021, Bomb explosion at CPS Kampala, Raja Chambers and Jubilee Insurance Building Along Parliamentary Avenue
On 16/11/2021 between 1000hrs and 1030hrs, suspected bombs exploded at CPS Kampala main Entrance, Raja Chambers and Jubilee Insurance Building at Parliamentary Avenue in Kampala Central, Kampala District.
At CPS Kampala Crime scene, a police officer No-66271 PC Kungu Amos and a civilian identified as Basibe Ismael died on the spot together with the suspected Terrorist (suicide bomber) whose body parts were found scattered in pieces along Buganda Road and George Street.
At Raja Chambers and Jubilee Insurance Building at Parliamentary Avenue scene, one person identified as Christopher Sunday died on the spot together with two suspected Terrorists (suicide bombers whose body parts were found scattered in pieces)
At CPS Kampala, one suspected Terrorist was captured by the CCTV footage carrying a back bag which exploded on him leading to the death of PC Kungu Amos who was trying to stop and search him, and the civilian one Basibe Ismael who was nearby.
At Jubilee Insurance Building at Parliamentary Avenue, it was established that the suspected Terrorists were two men riding on a motor cycle which got damaged beyond recognition during explosion leading to their own death and one civilian only identified as Christopher Sunday on the spot.
Properties were damaged to wit Motor Vehicles Reg No- UP 4834, UP 7728 and UP 8960. Many privately owned Motor Vehicles and Motor cycles at both Crime scenes were also damaged.
Operations against the Terrorist
Following the terrorist activities, coordinated operations were launched and the following were shot dead;
- Matovu Adam alias Manihaji, a resident of Tula, Kawempe opposite Tura Police Post. He was however shot dead while escaping from security at around Nagulu Remand Home Road at Kasenke, after a search at his
- Kilevu Mohammed Abbasi, suspected terrorist was shot dead at Katereke cell, Kyengera Town Council in Wakiso District. He was suspected to be an agent of ADF operating within Kampala and around recruiting and mentoring suspected suicide
MURDER CASES IN GREATER MASAKA REGION – MASAKA AND LWENGO DISTRICTS
During the months of July and August 2021, cases of murder by hacking and use of blunt objects by organized criminal syndicates were registered in Greater Masaka Region, particularly Masaka and Lwengo Districts leading to the killing of 26 persons.
The criminals targeted innocent people moving alone on the road at night and vulnerable persons staying alone in houses.
The victims murdered in Masaka District are;
- Mukasa Dirisa
- Kalera James
- Mugerwa Kiiza Francis aka Nswa
- Kakooza Sulaiman
- Kiyimba Tadeo
- Nampijja Muhangaza Annet
- Mayanja Peter
- Mulindwa Maddi
- Damulira Fred
- Yeye Peter
- Nakato Maria
The victims murdered in Lwengo District are;
- Nkanka Joseph
- Godfrey Kaweesi
- Francis Nkoka Mapengo
- Joseph Bwanika
- Joseph Ddumba
- Ramathan Lubega
- Sowed Kayemba
- Ronald Katende
- Henry Karembire alias Mwana
- Vicent Lusirye
- Joyce Nantale
- Babra Birungi
- John Kabanda
- Vincent Nkalya
- Richard Mbazira
22 suspects were arrested in connection to the Murders out of whom 09 were arrested in Masaka District and 13 were arrested in Lwengo District.
All the 22 suspects appeared in court where Hon. Allan Sewanyana, Hon. Muhammad Ssegirinya, Muwonge Jude, Sserwadda Mike, Wamala Bulo, Mugera John and Kanyike Jackson were charged with Terrorism, Heading and Abetting Terrorism, Murder and Attempted Murder.
15 other suspects were charged with Murder and remanded. They include;
- Sserwada Christopher
- Mugisha Sam
- Sewankambo Muhammad
- Kibirango John Bosco
- Ssekajugo Paul
- Kabuye Faizal
- Tamale Frank
- Musuumba Benard
- Kirega Badru
- Mutabazi Batisita
- Kabayo Henry
- Kaganda Moses alias Tumwesigye
- Kayiza Ashiraf
- Ssebunya Isa
- Kyabula David
DETAILED INCIDENTS OF MURDERS IN GREATER MASAKA REGION BETWEEN JULY AND AUGUST, 2021
- MASAKA CRB: 600/2021
On 22nd August 2021, at unknown time, at Kikungwe “A” LC1, Butale parish, Kimanya – Kabonera Division, Masaka City. One MUKASA IDRISA, 90years, was hit on the forehead with a blunt object and died instantly. The body was found on the veranda of his house, where he was staying alone.
MASAKA CRB: 605/2021 MURDER.
On 23rd August 2021 at unknown time at Setala LC1 Village Senya ward Kimanya – Kabonera Division Masaka City, a report was made by the Defense Secretary of the area that one MUGERWA FRANCIS a.k.a Kiiza Nswa 58yrs, resident of Setala Village was attacked by SSERUWADA MIKE and others, on his way home from Senya T/Centre, and hit on his head with a blunt object several times and died. The body was dumped to the eucalyptus trees along the footpath to his home. Sseruwada Mike was arrested.
MASAKA CRB: 606/2021 MURDER.
On 23rd August 2021 at around 2115hrs, at Senya Village, Senya Ward, Kimanya – Kabonera Division Masaka City, one KAKOOZA SULAIMAN m/a aged 54yrs, a resident of Setala Village, Senya Ward, was attacked by one, SSERUWADA MIKE and others, on his way home from Senya Trading Centre and hit on the head with a blunt object.
The body was pulled and abandoned along the footpath towards his home. Sseruwada Mike was arrested.
MASAKA CRB: 607/2021 MURDER.
On 23rd August 2021 at about 2100hrs at Senya Village, Senya Ward, Kimanya – Kabonera Division Masaka City, one KIYIMBA TADEO 37yrs, a resident of Senya village Senya ward, was attacked by SSERUWADA MIKE and others. He was hit him on his forehead with a blunt object and died. The body was discovered in the middle of the footpath towards his home. Sseruward Mike was arrested.
MASAKA CRB: 619/2021 MURDER.
On 26th August 2021 at around 2130hrs at Kisaka Village Kiteredde Ward Kimanya Kabonera Division in Masaka City. One MULINDWA MADDI 45yrs was attacked by unknown assailants when he was alone checking on his house was cut on the head and died.
MASAKA CRB: 614/2021 MURDER.
On 25th August 2021 at around 2020hrs at Kasaali Village Bisanje Kimanya Kabonera Division in Masaka City, one NAMPIJJA MUHANGAZA 75yrs, was attacked by unknown Assailants while preparing her supper and was hit on the head and left in the middle of the kitchen. Her Grandchildren had gone to watch TV in the neighborhood.
MASAKA CRB: 616/2021 MURDER.
On 25th August 2021 at unknown time at Bisanje village Kimanya Kabonera Division in Masaka City. One YEYE PETER, 30yrs, muganda casual worker was hit on the head with a blunt object and died instantly. The body was abandoned in the nearby banana plantation.
NYENDO CRB: 220/2021 MURDER.
On 29th August 2021, at around 0300hrs at Kitenga ‘A’ LCI Village, Kalagala Parish, Nyendo Mukungwe Division in Masaka City, one NAKATO MARIA, 80yrs, muganda, was attacked by unknown assailants who broke into her house, hit her on the head with a blunt object, pulled her for almost 100metres to the banana plantation behind her house. Biological son of the Deceased called Kiggwe Andrew, the area LCI C/Man suspected that the
cause of death could be Land wrangles. Three suspects namely: NAKAKAWA SYLVIA, KIBEDI YOWANA BATESITA and JJEMBA FRANCIS were arrested.
KINONI CRB: 062/2021 MURDER:
On 31st July 2021 at 2000hrs at Nakatete Village Kisekka in Lwengo District, one NKANKA JOSEPH, 51Yrs and KAWEESI GODFREY, 30Yrs, were hacked using pangas and Big sticks and left unconscious. They were taken to Masaka Referral Hospital and later died.
NKONI CRB: 032/2021 MURDER:
Alleged that on 21st July 2021 at 2230hrs along Kamenya Miigo Road, Taaga Village Nkoni in Lwengo District, one KABANDA JOHN and KALYA VICENT were riding their bicycles and were attacked by KIBIRANGO JOHN BOSCO Alias BOY, SSEGAWA MUZAFARU, SSEWANKAMBU MOHAMAD Alias TALU
and others, assaulted the deceased with Blunt objects to death and dragged them to the nearby coffee plantation.
Kibirango John Bosco and Ssewankabo Mohamad appeared to court on 5/08/2021 and remanded.
LWENGO CRB: 210/2021 MURDER BY BLUNT OBJECT:
On 4th August 2021 at unknown time, at Katoma Village, Lwengo Rural in Lwengo District, one DDUMBA JOSEPH LUTAKOME 59 years, was attacked by unknown person(s) and hit with a blunt object that caused multiple injuries on the body and died instantly. The body was dumped in coffee plantation.
One suspect NAMATA JUSTINE was arrested.
KATOVU CRB: 099/2021 MURDER BY HACKING:
On 12th August 2021 at 1100hrs at Malongo village Katovu Lwengo District, one LUBEGA ARAMATHAN, 60years, was discovered dead in the bush with multiple cuts on the head and face. The attackers/assailants not identified.
LWENGO CRB: 203/2021 MURDER:
On 2nd August 2021 at Kisekka B village Kankamba Lwengo District, one BWANIKA JOSEPH, male adult a Dumb person, was waylaid on his way at night and killed by unknown person(s) when he was from his Sisters place. No arrests made.
KYAZANGA CRB: 195/2021 MURDER:
On 15th August 2021 at around 0210hrs, at Mpumudde Village, Byakabirizi – Kyazanga in Lwengo District, one Kayemba Sowedi, 29yrs, Businessman, resident of Luyembe Zone, Kyazanga Town Council was waylaid by unknown assailant(s) hit him on the using a blunt object killing him instantly.
LWENGO RURAL CRB: 052/2021 MURDER.
During the night of 16th August 2021 at Byanjiri LC1 Village, Kito Parish, Lwengo Rural in Lwengo District, unknown assailants attacked one, SSEBWANA IBRAHIM 50yrs, and hit him with a blunt object killing him instantly. The same assailants are suspected to have waylaid one GALIWANGO PAUL 60yrs, resident of Byanjiri Village, and another only known as MONDAY 30yrs resident of Nasiti LC1 village Ndagwe were left unconscious and were rushed to Masaka referral hospital where they later died. Suspects namely: KABAYO HENRY, KAGANDA MOSES, SSEMBUYA
ISSA, MUTABAAZI BATESITA and KAYEBURA were arrested, charged to court and remanded
NKONI CRB: 042/2021 MURDER.
During the night of 22nd August 2021 at Kyambogo Village, Nkoni Parish Kkingo – Lwengo District, one MBAZIIRA RICHARD 60yrs, muganda Deputy Catechists at Kkingo Parish, was attacked by unknown assailants who hit him with a blunt object on his head that caused his death.
No suspect arrested.
NKONI CRB: 046/2021 MURDER.
During the night of 27th August 2021 at Bwasa Village, Kasana Parish, Kkingo Sub County in Lwengo District, one NANTALE JOYCE, 70yrs and her Granddaughter BIRUNGI BABRA, aged 6yrs, were attacked by unknown assailants, hacked and left half dead. They were later rushed to Masaka Referral Hospital where they died.
NKONI CRB: 047/2021 ARSON.
During the night of 27th August 2021 at around 2330hrs, at Nabyewanga Village, Nkoni in Lwengo District, the home of Bukenya Fred being occupied by Ten (10) members of the family was set on fire by unknown assailants. All members of the family survived, but the whole house was burnt to ashes including the M/Cycle Reg No. UDB 391H Suzuki cc 90.
No suspect arrested.
NKONI CRB: 048/2021 MURDER.
On 28th August 2021 at Kyoko Village, Kaganda Parish, Kkingo Sub County in Lwengo District, one KIREMBWE HENRY, 81yrs was attacked by unknown assailants, hit him on the head using blunt objects killing him instantly. Assailants used the Deceased Phone No. 0783084919 to call different Phone numbers of his relatives. The daughter of the deceased in Sweden called Ssebuya Steven on 0772517535 who confirmed the death and informed the authorities. No suspect arrested.
FORT PORTAL CRB 767/2021, KIDNAP AND MURDER OF THE ACTING CHAIRMAN NRM-NTOROKO DISTRICT.
The kidnap and murder of the Acting NRM Chairperson-Ntoroko District, one Kabagambe Aheebwa Japheth that took place on 02/09/2021 in Fortportal City.
Three suspects were apprehended and are to appear in court on Tuesday 5th October, 2021.
- Mutamba Herbert
- Alleluya Barnabas
- Ahimbisibwe Deus
The same suspects are linked to other incidents of kidnap and murder.
- Katovu CRB 112/2021, Kidnap and Murder of Kagwa Fred, a businessman of Lyantonde Town that took place on 7th September, 2021. He was kidnapped on his way from Lyantonde Town to Lwengo District.
- Ibanda CRB 628/2021, Kidnap and Murder of Nabisinde Mereth, a business woman in Mbarara She was kidnapped on the way from Ibanda to Mbarara City on 8th September, 2021.
The same suspects and others still at large are linked to other cases of Aggravated Robbery, Kidnap and Murders in across the country.
ATTEMPTED MURDER OF HON. GEN. EDWARD KATUMBA WAMALA AND MURDER BY SHOOTING OF NANTONGO BRENDA WAMALA AND No. RA/175389 SGT HARUNA KAYONDO VIDE KIIRA ROAD CRB 424/2021
On Tuesday, the 1st June 2021 between 0840 – 0900 Hours, unknown gunmen shot at motor vehicle Reg. No. H4DF 2138 in which Hon. Gen. Edward Katumba Wamala the former Minister of Works and Transport was travelling in with Nantongo Brenda Wamala his daughter and No. RA/175389 Sgt Haruna Kayondo the driver.
The shooting took place at Kisota Road Kisasi, in Nakawa Division Kampala District. Hon. Gen. Edward Katumba Wamala were on their way to Najjanankumbi for the funeral of his mother in-law.
The crime scene was visited by relevant offices/units of the Uganda Police Force and UPDF, exhibits comprising of swabs of blood, cartridges, bullet heads and motor vehicle Reg. No. H4DF 2138 were recovered, Private CCTV at the scene and along Kisasi Road at the junction of Kisota Road leading to the scene were analyzed and CCTV footages extracted.
PF 48 and 48B were prepared and the bodies of Nantongo Brenda Wamala and No. RA/175389 Sgt Haruna Kayondo were taken to City Mortuary Mulago for post mortem.
Sserubula Hussein Ismail, Nyanzi Yusuf, Muhammad Kagugube, Kisambira Siriman, Walusimbi Kamada-Mudinka, Abdul-Aziz Ramanthan Dunku and Habib Ramanthan Marjan were taken to court on charges of murder, attempted murder and terrorism.
MURDER OF WOMEN IN NAKULABYE BY MUSAASIZI MUSA ALIAS UNCLE
Between February and March 2021, five women and a baby were killed by unknown person. The bodies of these victims were burnt and dropped in various places around Nankulabye in Kampala District.
With well guided investigations, one Musaasizi Musa alias Uncle 23yrs, Musoga by tribe, a thief and resident of Nakulabye in Mujomba Zone 6 in Rubaga Division Kampala District was arrested. He later confessed to the killings and led Police to the recoveries of these bodies.
He revealed that;
- On the 22/02/2021, he killed his first victim a one Mclin Aheereza while at his rented house in Nakulabye. That this followed a disagreement when he suspected Mclin of loving other men. He strangled her, put her in a suitcase called a bodaboda rider known to him as Kashiiza and took the body to Nateete, dumped it at a place called stone view and lit it with fire using paraffin which he had bought at Kobil Nakulabye. That after, he ran and joined the bodaboda rider whom he had left on the main road, boarded and went back to
- On the 13/03/2021, he also killed another woman he only knew as Kansiime who was a He killed her in the same style. Kansiime had a baby of three months and had visited him. That he had befriended her after her boyfriend had abandoned her while still pregnant. That on the 13th after visiting him with her baby, she annoyed him while communicating to another man on her phone. He strangled her and after strangled the baby. After putting the baby in the bag took the body and dumped it Kivulu near National Housing structures. He then bought paraffin at the same station and went back to his room. At about 0200/c, he took the body of Kansiime near Kasubi Masiro fence and lit it up on fire.
- On the 15/03/2021, he also killed another girlfriend only known to him as Noreen in the same style and dumped her body near the previous scene. Also burnt her but this time using petrol which he bought at Ugx. 5,000 in a plastic water bottle at a petrol station along Makerere Highway.
- On the 16/03/2021, he also killed another girlfriend he knew as He invited her to his home and she came at about 1500/c. After a while, she asked for money to plait her heir. He gave her Ugx. 50000. That without any disagreement, when she requested to go away, he surprised her and strangled her to death just like others. At night, he took her body to another location within the same area and burnt her using petrol he bought for Ugx. 5000 at the same petrol station.
He also revealed he was first having sexual intercourse with them as his girlfriends before killing them. He picked all his victims in Makerere Kivulu
and that they are all known there. That it had become a hobby to kill his girlfriends. He threw the phones and shows of his last three victims in a pit latrine toilet at his home in Nakulabye.
D/SGT Chemonges Fred and injured three other officers namely No. 57348 Cpl Tukei Stanlus, No. 57842 PC Mukisa Charles, No. 54290 PC Ikalat Solomon and No. 35448 Cpl Ipurale John Paul
THE EVENTS OF THE MBALE ROBBERY AND MURDER
On the 16th of May, 2019 acting on Intelligence of intended robbery of a certain businessman in Mbale, the RPC and the team planted armed plain clothed officers in the motor vehicle of the would-be victim. The robbers five in number intercepted the motor vehicle.
During the exchange between the Police Officers and the robbers, one Police Officer No. 32831D/SGT Chemonges Fred was shot dead and two others injured vide Mbale CPS CRB 873/2019. The robbers escaped with injuries. The motor vehicle, a Toyota Mark II Reg. No. UAP 283Y with a fictitious number plate of UAT 112A in which the robbers were travelling was recovered.
The suspects confessed to their participation in the Mbale Robbery and Murder and have stated that Anichan Emma commanded the attempted robbery and subsequent murder and attempted murder of the Police Officers. They further confessed that all the three served time (sentence) in Luzira.
Twahirwa Eddie the informant facilitated the robbery by contributing fuel for the motor vehicle which transported the robbers to Mbale.
THE PREVIOUS RECORDS OF THE SUSPECTS
- Mulunda Stanely aka Jumba Frank is a former inmate of Luzira Prisons on charges of aggravated robbery and was discharged by court on the 5th April 2019. While in prison, he met the other three suspects who were on separate charges e. Aninchan Bob aka Emma and Mangusho Dennis and others still at large.
- Aninchan Bob is a former UPDF Officer who was convicted of aggravated robbery and murder of another UPDF soldier and sentenced to death by Division Court Martial sitting in Kakiri. That he appealed the sentence in court of Appeal which was reduced to 13 years until early this year when he completed his
- Mangusho Dennis is a former UPDF soldier, an ex-convict of Luzira Prison on charges of aggravated robbery and murder of a UPDF He was charged and convicted alongside Anichan Bob to death by Division Court Marital and appealed the sentence.
- Twahirwa Eddie aka Meddie aka Musa, a former NRA, 1985 to 1993 an inmate in Luzira Prisons on illegal possession of firearms and has been a double agent purporting to give information to the various security agencies while collaborating and participating in various
The decision by the joint team to arrest him was arrived at following the technical analysis of his telephone data which revealed that indeed he was in close collaboration with Onenchan Bob, Mangusho Dennis and others still at large who are already being implicated in the mentioned crimes.
Indeed, on arrest it was confirmed that the evening of the 13th June, 2019 after the shootout with the Police in Masanafu, he joined Mangusho Dennis and Anichan Bob for a drink till 0300/c in a bar in Kisenyi and on the 13th June 2019 he was arrested.
The group was busted after the forensic analysis of the recovered firearm with the various cartridges collected from all the five scenes mentioned above linked the cartridges to the five scenes.
The four suspects namely; Mulunda Stanely aka Jumba Frank, Mangusho Dennis, Anichan Bob and Ntale Issa alias Ganja were arraigned before the General Court Martial and remanded. They have been convicted and sentenced to death by hanging in the case of murder of Nakabubi Mourine and Nalwadda Harriet. They are awaiting trial in other cases.
On the 16th of May, 2019, in an attempt to rob a hardware shop in Mbale, the robbers in a fire exchange with the Police, shot and killed No. 32831 D/SGT Chemonges Fred and injured three other officers namely No. 57348 Cpl Tukei Stanlus, No. 57842 PC Mukisa Charles, No. 54290 PC Ikalat Solomon and No. 35448 Cpl Ipurale John Paul
MURDER OF ARCHIE RWEGO AND AGGRAVATED ROBBERY VIDE KIRA DIV. CRB 736/2018
On the 24th October 2018, unknown people attacked Rwego Archie and his family at around 0300/c at his residence in Mukutugumu Zone in Kira Municipality. They assaulted Rwego who was rushed to Najjera Hospital but was pronounced dead on arrival. The suspects robbed one flat TV set the wife’s handbag which contained personal effects and unspecified amount of money. Three suspects were arrested and charged to Kira Court. They are:-
- Kasule Johnson alias Kisakye,
- Abdul Luyomba, and
- Waswa Moses alias
They trio have since been committed to High Court for trial.
BULENGA CRB 127/2018 MURDER OF ASP KIRUMIRA MUHAMMAD AND RESTY MBABAZI ALIAS NALINYA
On 08/09/2018 at around 2105hrs at Bulenga A Zone Wakiso sub-county in Wakiso District, ASP Kirumira Muhammad and Resty Mbabazi alias Nalinya were shot dead by unknown assailants travelling on two numberless motor cycles. Two suspects namely Kalungi Abubkar and Mwebe Hamza were charged and committed to High Court for trial.
KAWEMPE CRB 599/2018 MURDER OF HON ABIRIGA IBRAHIM AND PTE. KONGO SAIDI
On 08/06/2018 at around 1850hrs at Kawanda Kaayi Zone, Nabweru Sub- County in Wakiso District, Hon Abiriga Ibrahim and Pte Saidi Kongo were shot dead by unknown assailants travelling on two motor cycles. A number of lines of inquiries were followed but were not credible. Investigations are ongoing.
MURDER BY SHOOTING TO THE PREJUDICE OF JOAN NAMAZI KAGEZI VIDE KIWATULE CRB 026/2015
On the 30th March 2015 at about 1930hrs, unknown gunmen shot and killed Joan Namazi Kagezi working with the Directorate of Public Prosecutions as she bought fruits along Kiwatule Road. The suspects remain at large and case is still under investigations.
MURDER BY SHOOTING TO THE PREJUDICE OF MAJOR MOHAMMED KIGGUNDU AND SGT MUKASA STEVEN VIDE OLD KAMPALA CRB 1116/2016.
On the 26th day of November 2016, at around 0700hrs at Masanafu Trading Centre in Rubaga Division Kampala District, Major Mohammed Kiggundu and Sgt Mukasa Steven, both UPDF soldiers were shot dead by unknown gunmen ridding on numberless motorcycles.
Seven suspects namely Yahya Ramathan Mwanje, Buyondo Mohammed, Sekandi Musa alias Masanafu, Nyanzi Yusuf Silagi alias Sentamu, Kalyango Jibril a.k.a Abu Aisha Bin Sulaiman, Balyejusa Bruhan Kalyango alias Masiga and Noordin Lutaaya a.k.a Ibrahim Semwanga Superman were charged and committed to High Court for trial.
MURDER BY SHOOTING TO THE PREJUDICE OF AIGP ANDREW FELIX KAWEESI, NO. 47113 CPL ERAU KENETH AND NO. 60687 C/DRV WAMBEWA GODFREY VIDE KIRA ROAD CRB 222/2017
On the 17th March 2017 at around 0917hrs at Kulambiro, Kampala District, AIGP Andrew Felix Kaweesi, his bodyguard No. 47113 Cpl Erau Kenneth and his driver No. 60687 C/DRV Wambewa Godfrey were attacked and shot dead by unknown gunmen as they were going to work.
Eight accused persons were charged with Murder and committed to the High Court for trial and are now on bail pending trial. They are:- Mbaziira Abdu, Higenyi Aramanzani, Balyejusa Bruhan, Kalyango Jibril, Kasujja Shafiq, Mugerwa Yusuf, Kyambadde Joshua Magezi and Nyanzi Yusuf.
KIDNAP WITH INTENT TO PROCURE A RANSOM AND MURDER TO THE PREJUDICE OF SUSAN MAGARA VIDE OLD K’LA CRB 141/2018
On the 7th February 2018 at about 2100hrs, Susan Magara F/A 28yrs, an accountant of Bwendero Dairy Farm was kidnapped by unknown persons while in her motor vehicle Reg. No. UAJ 790W on her way home in Lungujja and she was later recovered dead on the 27th February 2018 along Kampala Express Highway at Kitiko Birongo village, Kajjansi Urban Division Wakiso district. Kidnappers also secured a ransom of USD 200,000 from the parents. Nine suspects were arrested, charged to court and remanded to Upper Prison Luzira. They are; Lubega Yusuf, Bukenya Ismai, Kasaalita Muhammed, Kato Hassan Miiro, Kyewolwa Abubakar, Ssali Muzamir, Waswa Hussein, Nakandi Hajjara, and Buvumbo Musa Abas.
Three other suspects at large are Yakub Hausi Byensi, Lugolobi Hakim, and Kasozi Mahad
KIDNAP AND MURDER OF FIVE WOMEN/FEMALE JUVENILES BY CRIMINAL SYNDICATE OF OLD TAXI PARK
Between March and May 2018, a criminal group who would disguise as Taxi Guides at Wandegeya Bukoto Stage, Old Taxi Park, Kampala Central Division in Kampala District, kidnapped five Women/Female Juveniles for purposes of procuring a ransom, Murder, sexual assault and human sacrifice. Of the five women/female juveniles kidnapped, Rehema Nabwanika Halima, Nakisekka Rose, Kyohairwe Charity and Nalule Milly Drinah were murdered while Nakasujja Shamsa escaped from the group.
The group comprised of the Witch Doctor Ssalongo Ddumba, Mugabi Kamada Shakur, Oloo John Bosco Alias Okello Kifeesi, Lukwago Herbert Ssalongo and others. Six suspects in these heinous crimes were arrested, charged and have since been committed to High Court for trial. The cases are;
- Old Kampala CRB 585/2018, Kidnap and Murder of Rehema Nabwanika Halima, 06 suspects charged and committed to High Court for trial
- Old Kampala CRB 499/2018, Kidnap and Murder of Nakiseka Rose, 06 suspects charged and committed to High Court for trial
- Katwe CRB 487/2018, Kidnap and Murder of Kyohairwe Charity, 06 suspects charged and committed to High Court for trial
- CPS Kampala CRB 676/2018, Kidnap and Murder of Nalule Milly Drinah, 06 suspects charged and committed to High Court for trial
- CPS Kampala CRB 718/2018, Kidnap of Nakasujja Shamsa, 06 suspects charged and committed to High Court for
- JINJA RD CRB 446/2012 MURDER OF WAMALA WILBERFORCE AND SADIQ MUGERWA-THE SHAMBA BOY
On 3rd February 2012 at Mutungo in Nakawa Division, Wilberforce Wamala and his shamba boy were murdered by unknown assailants. Their bodies were discovered by Ben Ziwa, a driver to the said Wamala. Investigations led to arrest of Ben Ziwa the former driver of Wamala, Ssali Kasim a painter who was at the time of the murder had been contracted to paint the house for the late Wamala but disappeared immediately and Jolly Kasande one of the widows of Wamala. Ssali confessed to the murder of Wilberforce Wamala and his shamba boy and even named his accomplices in and extra judicial statement. However, he died in custody at Bukasa Police post. Another suspect one Seguja Joseph, a former operative with Flying Squad Unit is still at large. He is believed to have fled to Zambia.
DPP has since advised that, we trace for the said Seguja Joseph.
CPS K’LA CRB 218/2018 SUDDEN DEATH OF TERASVOURI THOMAS JUHA PETERRI A FINISH NATIONAL
On 06/02/2018 Terasvouri Thomas Juha Peterri a Finish National was found dead at Pearl of Africa Hotel.
Investigations led to the arrest of Nagayi Faridah, Kabagambe Fatumah, Walusimbi Nasif, Arinda Carol and Apollo Kyabagye who are alleged to have procured contaminated narcotic drugs that were consumed by the victim.
The five suspects were charged to Buganda Road Court and the following are on Committal to High Court;
- Nagayi Faridah,
- Kabagambe Fatumah, and
- Walusimbi Nasif
- CPS K’LA CRB 250/2018 SUDDEN DEATH OF SEBASTIANO AXEL A SWEDISH NATIONAL
On 05/02/2018, Sebastiano Axel 41 years, Swedish national was found dead in his hotel room 1234 on 12th Floor Sheraton Hotel. Samples of materials recovered from his room were subjected to forensic analysis and tested positive for narcotic drugs.
Suspects remain at large.
MURDER OF JOSHUA NTEIREHO RUSHEGYERA AND MERINA TUMUKUNDE VIDE ENTEBBE CRB 987/2019
On 5th September 2019 one Joshua Nteireho Rushegyera and Tumukunde Merina were murdered at Nambigirwa bridge Mpala Katabi Town Council along Entebbe Express high way between 2228/c to 2300/c. They were travelling in motor vehicle Reg. No. UAW 534B Toyota Land cruiser TX black in colour. The said motor vehicle was found secured packed with the hand breaks on, with the engine running and headlamps on, facing the direction of Entebbe from Kampala on the Kampala – Entebbe express high way.
Joshua’s body was found lying on its back facing the direction of Kampala outside behind the said vehicle holding the muzzle of the SMG rifle serial number UGPOL 563100699022697 loaded with 27 rounds of live ammunitions. Merina’s body was found on the back seat behind the co- driver’s seat. It was found out that the gun belongs to Uganda Police Force and it was signed for by No. 60923 PC Taremwa Davis attached to the Directorate of Counter Terrorism. No. 60923 PC Taremwa Davis was arrested and is still in custody. Other suspects arrested include: – step brothers of Joshua who are alleged to have been in wrangles with Joshua
on the estate of their late father, Kamugisha Deus and Yafesi Mwijutsya who are alleged to have been disgruntled with Joshua in land deals, Dr. Sangaire Eddie Morgan who had lent Joshua Ugx 10,000,000 allegedly to process certificate of title for the family land at Kashari Mbarara and was allegedly bitter that Joshua had refused to pay the money.
Statements have been recorded from a number of witnesses including relatives of Joshua and Merina, including Merina’s husband. Other lines of inquiry are being pursued. Case is still under inquiry.
FORENSIC ANALYSIS OF THE GUN AND CARTRIDGES RECOVERED AT THE SCENE
The riffle No. UGPOL 563100699022697 and cartridges which were recovered at the scene were subjected to Forensic analysis. The results show that the cartridges were from the said gun. The said gun was signed by No. 60923 PC Taremwa Davis, who is currently in our custody.
KIDNAP AND MURDER OF NAGIRINYA MARIA GATENI AND KITAYIMBWA RONNIE VIDE KATWE CRB 1422/2019
On the 28th August 2019 Nagirinya Maria Gateni and Kitayimbwa Ronnie were kidnapped from her (Nagirinya’s) gate and later murdered and dumped in Nabutiti village, Nama Sub-county in Mukono District using her motor vehicle. Their bodies were recovered on the 30th August 2019; the motor vehicle was later dumped off Mackay road in Nateete and recovered on 29th August 2019. Before killing the victims, the suspects obtained the mobile money pin numbers of the two victims. They later withdrew Ugx.260,000 from Nagirinya’s mobile phone No. 0704-970863 and Ugx. 24,000 from Kitayimbwa’s mobile phone No. 0755-848732.
The following suspects were taken to Mwanga II Court on the 23rd September 2019 and remanded:-
- Kasolo Coporiyamu alias Arsenal M/a 27yrs muganda by tribe shoe hawker resident of Bulenga Zone B, Rubaga Division Kampala District.
- Lubega Johnson alias Ettoo alias Manomano alias Rasta m/a 20yrs musoga by tribe, resident of Nateete Kigaga Zone Rubaga Division Kampala
- Kalyango Nasif alias Muwonge m/a 22yrs muganda, boda boda rider resident of Nateete Kitaka
- Kiseka Hassan alias Masada, muganda by tribe m/a 29yrs boda boda rider resident of Nateete Kigaga Zone Rubaga Division Kampala District.
- Katerega Sadat,
- Mpanga Shafiq,
- Okori Raymond alias ASP Mugisha who personated to be a Police Officer.
The following suspects are at large and are being traced:-
- Isaac Kikyusa, and
- One only known as Fred
- KANYANYA CRB 152/2019 MURDER AND AGGRAVATED ROBBERY OF CASH UNSPECIFIED AMOUNT OF MONEY
On 27th April 2019, six armed robbers armed with three AK-47 attacked City Shoppers supermarket in Kanyanya. The robbers shot and killed a security guard, one Okot Balson and robbed unspecified amount of money.
The suspects are still at large and the case is still under inquiry.
NANSANA CRB 343/2019 MURDER AND AGGRAVATED ROBBERY AT CHEAP HARDWARE STORE
On 29th May 2019, six armed robbers attacked Cheap Hardware Nansana, and among others:
- Murdered four people namely,
- Atukuru Jimmy, Assistant Manager
- Abaho Franks – loader,
- Bugembe Amim – a loader,
- Anania Frank – a Taxi driver
- Injured six (06) namely:-
- Kisige Allan – loader,
- Mugoya Rogers – loader,
- Ankakwansa Innocent – loader,
- Kabogoza Ambrose – customer,
- Nuwamanya William – boda boda rider at Kabumbi stage,
- Lwampare Ronald – security guard attached to Spartsec ,
- Robbed Ugx 385,000,000.
Spent cartridges were retrieved and submitted for forensic examination. The suspects remain unknown.
KANYANYA CRB 152/2019 MURDER AND AGGRAVATED ROBBERY OF CASH UNSPECIFIED AMOUNT OF MONEY
On 27th April 2019, six armed robbers armed with three AK-47 attacked City Shoppers supermarket in Kanyanya. The robbers shot and killed a security guard, one Okot Balson and robbed unspecified amount of money. The suspects are still at large and the case is still under inquiry.
MULAGO CRB 225/2017 – MURDER BY SHOOTING TO THE PREJUDICE OF No. 500 SPC MUBIRU HUSSEIN, No. 169 SPC KARUNGI MOSES AND SENGOZI EDWARD
On the 16th September 2017, total Kalerwe on Gayaza unknown robbers attacked and;
- Murdered 500 SPC Mubiru Hussein and No. 169 SPC Karungi Moses attached to Mutundwe Police Station and driver Sengozi Edward a driver of Denovo Bakery,
- Robbed two rifles; number 561280375077 and 563003 each with thirty rounds of ammunitions,
- Robbed Ugx. 34,732,900, and
- Injured one Hakiza Everest a hawker on Gayaza Road and Nakatudde Nawala, a cashier of Donovo Bakery Ltd
Victims were travelling in motor vehicle Reg. No. UAY 993K Noah being driven by Sengozi Edward.
Suspects remain at large and case still under inquiry.
Forensic analysis of the cartridges recovered at the three scenes
Forensic analysis of cartridges recovered from three different scenes namely Mulago CRB 225/2017, Kanyanya CRB 152/2019 and Nansana CRB 343/2019 show that the cartridges are from the same gun. In total eight (08) people have been killed using the same gun. The gun remains at large and the suspects are at large.
AGGRAVATED ROBBERIES AND MURDER OF MOBILE MONEY AGENTS WITHIN KAMPALA METROPOLITAN AREA
On the 11th of June 2019, acting on information that was provided on the 7th June 2019 to KMP Crime Intelligence Headquarters to the effect that there were some robbers renting in Masanafu. An intelligence led operation was conducted at around 0530/c by a team of uniformed Police and Crime Intelligence in Masanafu Village, in Kinonya Zone, Rubaga Division resulting to a shootout between the Police Officers and the armed robbers.
During the shootout, one Police Officer, No.51577 PC Okware James was injured, one of the armed robbers (known as Jumba Frank aka Stanely Mulunda aka Ssalongo Small) was arrested and a number of exhibits were recovered, which included the following:
- Two Ak-47 rifles with Serial Nos. UPDF 49034042-34042 marked Masaka and CDPN 3000441-00441-5623-000441 respectively,
- Two magazines with 32 rounds of ammunitions,
- A number plate UAM 046J,
- A Court document reflecting that Jumba Frank, the arrested armed robber had indeed been charged with aggravated robbery previously and released by court (see attached document).
DETAILS OF EACH CASE
Earlier on, there were other incidences of murder, aggravated robberies within KMP and Mbale where spent cartridges and bullet heads were recovered and submitted to the Police Forensic Directorate for analysis.
These incidences are:
NATEETE CRB 359/2019, MURDER OF WALUGEMBE RAPHAEL AND AGGRAVATED ROBBERY TO THE PREJUDICE OF MWESIGWA MUGONGO.
On 14th of May 2019, at Lungujja as the robbers trailed Mwesigwa Mugongo a mobile Money agent, at around 2300/c, Walugembe Raphael a Makerere University student emerged from his residence for a short call and was shot at and died instantly. Ugx 610,000 was robbed from Mwesigwa Mugongo Dennis. The suspects remained unknown, but spent cartridges were recovered.
KATWE CRB 935/2019, AGGRAVATED ROBBERY TO THE PREJUDICE OF OSUMA KAYA A TURKISH NATIONAL.
On 14th of May 2019, at around 1900/c in Kikumbi J Zone Bunamwaya Makindye Sababo Wakiso District, the victim was trailed by armed criminals who shot at his motor vehicle and grabbed a bag which they thought had money, but contained human medicines. The suspects remained unknown but cartridges were recovered and submitted to Forensic Services.
KAJJANSI CRB 317/2019 AGGRAVATED ROBBERY TO THE PREJUDICE OF NALUKWAGO SANYU
On the 17th of May 2019, at around 2000/c Kajjansi C. Cell, the victim, a mobile money agent and also a bank agent for Equity Bank and Centenary Bank, was trailed by a group of armed robbers driving motor vehicle, UBE 418A a Toyota Wish and robbed her of Ugx 18,000,000, cartridges were recovered and submitted for forensic alalysis. The suspects remained unknown.
KATWE CRB 916/2019 MURDER OF NAKABUBI MOUREEN AND NALWADDA HARRIET AND AGGRAVATED ROBBERY OF UGX 6.7M
On the 10th June 2019, at around 2200/c Zana Cell, Makindye Sabago, Wakiso, while two mobile money operators namely Nakabubi Maureen and Nalwadda Harriet, left their place of work to their place of residence that is nearby, robbers who were waiting in a corridor, shot and killed both victims and robbed them of unspecified sum of money. The suspects remained unknown.
Spent cartridges, bullet heads and the two rifles No’s UPDF 49034042-34042 marked Masaka and CDPN 3000441-00441-5623-000441 which were recovered from Masanafu under Old Kampala CRB 143/2019 were submitted to the Police Forensics Directorate for analysis.
The results show that:
- Rifle No CDPN3000441-00441-5623-000441 was linked to three incidences;
- Katwe CRB 359/2019 the murder of Walugembe and robbery of Ugx 610,000
- Kajjansi CRB 317/2019 robbery of 18,000,000 to the prejudice of Nalukwago Sanyu, and
- Katwe CRB 935/2019 Aggravated Robbery to the prejudice of Osuma Kaya a Turkish
- Rifle No. UPDF 49034042-34042 is linked to Katwe CRB 916/2019, murder of Nalwadda Harriet and Nakabubi Maureen and aggravated robbery of between UGX 6,000,000 to 7,000,000
After the intelligence led operation which led to the arrest of Mulunda Stanley aka Jumba Frank aka Ssalongo Small, he was interrogated and proved very uncooperative despite the evidence which had been gathered against him. A decision was made by joint intelligence basing on the evidence against Mulunda Stanley aka Jumba Frank aka Ssalongo Small (who had proved uncooperative) to arrest the informant Twahirwa Edrisa aka Musa aka Eddie. The arrest of Twahirwa Edrisa (the informant) led to the arrest of the following:
- Anichan Emma aka Bob, and
- Mwangushu Dennis,
During the joint interrogation of the four suspects mentioned above by JAT, the group confessed to have participated in all the above mentioned robberies and murders and the murder of a Flying Squad Police Officer in Mbale on the 16th May 2019 and the injuries of four other officer.
MURDER OF WOMEN IN NANSANA AND KAKIRI
Between the month of May and September 2017, in Nansana Municipality and Kakiri, Wakiso District 12 Murder cases were registered at Nansana and Kakiri Police Station respectively. The suspects targeted vulnerable women at drinking bars and some of the victims were raped before being murdered. The cases are;
- Nansana CRB 356/2017, Murder of Nansubuga Patricia alias Proscovia and Aggravated Robbery, 01 suspect convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment
- Nansana CRB 349/2017, Murder of Nampijja Juliet alias Jamila and Aggravated Robbery, 01 suspect charged to court and committed to High Court for trial
- Nansana CRB 243/2017, Murder of Birungi Maria and Aggravated Robbery, 01 suspect charged to court and committed to High Court for trial
- Nansana CRB 436/2017, Murder of Nakazibwe Josephine alias Jamila and Aggravated Robbery, 01 suspect charged to court and committed to High Court for trial
- Nansana CRB 488/2017, Murder of Nakachwa Teddy, 01 suspect charged to court and committed to High Court for trial
- Nansana CRB 466/2017, Murder of Kyandali Juliet (Domestic Violence), 02 suspects charged to court, 01 died in Prison and committed to High Court for trial
- Nansana CRB 357/2017, Murder of Unidentified Female Adult, 01 suspect charged to court and committed to High Court for trial
- Nansana CRB 356/2017, Murder of Unidentified Female Adult, 01 suspect charged to court and committed to High Court for trial
- Nansana CRB 350/2017, Murder of Unidentified Female Adult, 01 suspect charged to court and committed to High Court for trial
- 01 suspect charged to court and committed to High Court for trial
- Nansana CRB 350/2017, Murder of Unidentified Female Adult, 01 suspect charged to court and committed to High Court for trial
- Nansana CRB 446/2017, Murder of Unidentified Female Adult, 01 suspect charged to court and committed to High Court for trial
- Kakiri CRB 219/2017, Murder of Nabawanuka Stellah, 04 suspects charged and committed to High Court
- Kakiri CRB 228/2017, Murder of Nakabugo Annet, 02 suspects charged, 01 acquitted and 01 convicted and sentenced to life in prison
- MURDER OF WOMEN IN ENTEBBE
Between the month of May and September 2017, in Entebbe and Katabi Municipalities, Wakiso District 13 (thirteen) murder cases were registered. The suspects targeted women in what appeared to be an organized pattern. The cases are;
- Entebbe CRB 891/2017, Rape and Murder of Nelima Sarah, 01 suspect charged and committed to High Court for next session
- Entebbe CRB 881/2017, Rape and Murder of Nantongo Harriet, no suspect arrested, case closed and put away by RSA
- Kisubi CRB 191/2017, Murder of Unidentified Female Adult, No suspect arrested yet, Pending arrest of suspect
- Entebbe CRB 783/2017, Murder of Nalule Jalia, No suspect arrested yet, Pending arrest of suspect
- Entebbe CRB 758/2017, Murder of Nakasinde Aisha, No suspect arrested yet, Pending arrest of suspect
- Entebbe CRB 738/2017, Murder of Nakajjo Aisha, 08 suspects charged and committed to High Court for Hearing for next session
- Entebbe CRB 663/2017, Murder of Nakimuli Rose, 02 suspects charged and acquitted, Case concluded
- Entebbe CRB 651/2017, Murder of Wanyana Norah, 02 suspects charged and committed to High Court for next session
- Entebbe CRB 627/2017, Murder of Zakanya Donati, 01 suspect (Ssenoga George William alias Kidomole) charged to court, convicted and sentenced to 25yrs in prison, Case Concluded
- Entebbe CRB 540/2017, Murder of Komugisha Faith, 03 suspects charged, 02 acquitted and 01 committed to High Court for hearing on next session
- Entebbe CRB 523/2017, Murder of Nansubuga Harriet, 01 suspect charged and committed to High Court for hearing on next session
- Kisubi CRB 149/2019, Murder of Namugenyi Olivia, 02 suspects charged and committed to High Court for hearing on next
- Kabalagala CRB 1452/2014, Murder of Ssebunya Eria Kasiwukira, 03 suspects charged, 02 convicted and sentenced while 01 was acquitted.
- Kabalagala CRB 3618/2012, Sudden Death of Hon. Cerinah Nebanda, Woman MP for Butaleja, 06 suspects charged, 02 convicted and served their sentences while 04 were
- CPS Kampala CRB 1471/2015, Murder of Katushabe Donnah, 08 suspects charged to court and convicted and sentenced to 40years
- TREASON INVOLVING RWANDAN NATIONALS VIDE RWIZI E/053/2017
On 11/12/2017 a group of 45 persons were intercepted at Kikagati border point in Isingiro District while travelling to Burundi to allegedly acquire military training so as to fight the Government of Rwanda.
They were being recruited from the areas of Nakivale-Isingiro, Kyankwanzi, and Kakumiro Districts by one Musoni Geoffrey and others. The suspects were found in possession of forged temporally travel documents allegedly issued by Immigration.
They had also adopted pseudo names to disguise their identities. All the mentioned items were recovered and exhibited
Following the complaint by one of the suspects DPP called the file and decided to amend the charges to Trafficking in Persons and Forgery. He also dropped charges against 38 of the accused and maintained only nine. The nine are pending trial on the amended charges and they are on remand in Mbarara Prison.
LYANTONDE CRB 293/2019: MURDER BY SHOOTING OF SSENDEGE JUSTUS, MUBIRU ROBERT AND KYAMPIRE EVERLYNE
On the 6th September, 2019 at around 0155hrs at Katyaza Trading Center, Nakasozi village, Kinuuka Sub County in Lyantonde district, two unidentified gunmen attacked and shot at Ssendege Justus, Kyampaire Everlyne, Mubiru Robert and his wife Komuhangi Lydia while they were watching television in Ssendege’s shop.
The victims were rushed to Lyantonde Hospital where Ssendege Justus and Mubiru Robert were pronounced dead on arrival whereas Kyampaire Everlyne, who was about eight months pregnant died on the way to Kitovu Hospital where she had been referred.
Komuhangi Lydia, allegedly left for her home leaving the three victims watching television and immediately she left, she heard gunshots.
Scene visited, three cartridges plus one projectile were recovered from the scene and submitted to Ballistic expert together with similar cartridges recovered from a scene of aggravated Robbery registered vide Kaliiro CRB 051/2019 for analysis
MURDER BY SHOOTING OF RWABAGABO FRANCIS, NAKATO KELLEN AND BARWIHAHWENKI LEOKADIA KIZZA AND AGGRAVATED ROBBERY AT KALIRO TRADING CENTER ‘B’ AND KALIRO ZONE 3 VIDE KALIRO CRB 065/2019, 066/2019 AND 067/2019
On 20th October 2019, Police at Kaliro Police Station received information to the effect that a lone gunman at Kaliro Trading Center at around 2100hrs had:
- Shot at Rwabagabo Francis about 60years and his wife Nakato Kellen about 39years. This is being investigated under Kaliro CRB 065/2019,
- Robbed one Kawoya Godfrey a mobile money operator and a neighbour to Rwabagabo Francis Ugx 750,000. This is being investigated under Kaliro CRB 066/2019, and
- Shot and killed one Barwihahwenki Leokadia Kizza in her house at Kaliiro zone 3, Kaliro Parish, Kaliro Sub- County. This is being investigated under Kaliro CRB 067/2019.
Rwabagabo Francis and Nakato Kellen were rushed to Lyantonde Hospital where they were pronounced dead.
Seven cartridges and five SMG projectiles were recovered from the scenes of crime and exhibited.
It was found out that;
- Nakato Kellen was a second wife to Rwabagabo Francis and they were residents of Kaliiro Trading Center where they operated a small shop of vegetables and charcoal whereas Barwihwahwenki Leokadia Kiiza, a widow of the Late Kiiza Fulgensio, a brother to Rwabagabo
- The assailant after killing Rwabagabo Francis and Nakato Kellen proceeded to the home of Barwihwahwenki and killed her in her
- The killing was perpetrated by Mwebaze Nathan, an army deserter and a son to the Late Rwabagabo
- It is alleged that the motive of killing was land It is also alleged that Mwebaze Nathan claims that Barwihwahwenki bewitched his mother, the first wife to Rwabagabo Francis who died in July, 2019.
- It is also alleged that on the fateful day, Mwebaze Nathan was seen by the locals in the area. After the killing, Mwebaze Nathan disappeared and never attended the burial of the three deceased persons who were his
- The suspects were later identified as Mwebaze Nathan, Kakuru Benon and Ninyesiga Eliad. Mwebaze Nathan and Kakuru Benon are sons to the late Rwabagabo Francis whereas Ninyesiga Eliad is an in-law to the family of the late Rwabagabo
The killer gun was recovered and three suspects mentioned above appeared at the General Court Martial in Makindye.
MURDER OF SIX PEOPLE IN WABIGALO LC1, NAKASONGOLA DISTRICT BETWEEN 5TH AND 9TH DECEMBER, 2019
On the 5th December 2019 and on the 9th December 2019, four and two people were murdered by unknown assailants in Wabigalo village, Nakasongola District. These are;
- Matovu Rosia 93yrs, R/O Wabigalo LC 1 in Nakasongola District,
- Adur Judith 33yrs, a Lango and housewife, R/O Wabigalo LC 1 in Nakasongola District,
- Sekanza Amos 7yrs, a Muruli and R/O Kyalubambula village, Kyamkonwa parish, Nakasongola District,
- Mawanda Messach 10yrs,
- Mujuni Fred 40yrs, Munyankole, R/O Kitego LC 1, Wabigalo, and
- Bulega Fred 45yrs, murdered from Kitego Road, Kitego LC 1,
In all the six murders, the heads of the victims were totally cut off from the trunks.
On the 6th of December 2019 at around 0200hrs, one Jumba Joshua approached a traffic police officer at 0200hrs at a check point at Katuugo. He confessed to have killed the first four victims above. He alleged that Police was looking for him and he wanted transport money to go to Kampala. Jumba Joshua was immediately arrested and handed over to Nakasongola Police and he led to the arrest of two other accomplices namely; Muhereza Oscar alias Esiikom, and Waligonda William, an uncle to Muhereza Oscar. The case is still under inquiry.
MURDER OF SHEIKHS AND OTHER PROMINENT PERSONS IN BUSOGA AND EASTERN REGION
Between 2012 and 2015 there were a number of murders of Sheikhs and prominent persons and robberies registered in Busoga Region. 38 suspects were arrested and charged to court with murder, terrorism, aggravated robbery, attempted murder and belonging to ADF terrorist group. Among the suspect is Jamil Mukulu the leader of ADF who was extradited from the Republic of Tanzania with Mohammed Matovu alias Mark Ssebaduka and Umar Mutuka. The accused persons are on remand and the cases are at pre- trial stage in the High court.
A total of 10 cases of murder involving 11 victims were registered and brief facts as below:-
BUGIRI CRB 1531/2012 MURDER OF SHEIKH MUDUNGU YUNUSU
On 18/08/2012 at about 2030hrs, in Buwoole zone, Bugiri Town Council Sheikh Mudungu Yunusu was shot dead by unknown assailants. Kabambwe Ali and seven others were charged with murder and are pending trial.
BUGIRI CRB: 1672/2012, MURDER OF ABDUL SSENTUGGA
On the 26th September 2012 at around 2000hrs, Sheikh Abdul Ssentugga was shot dead at Namayemba Trading Centre, Bugiri district. Accused persons are pending trial at the International Crimes Division of the High Court.
MAYUGE CRB 1887/2014, MURDER OF MURDER OF SHEIKH DUCTOOR MUWAYA
On the 25/12/2014 at around 2030hrs, Sheikh Ductoor Abdul Kadir Muwaya was shot dead at his home in Kavule Buyemba village in Mayuge district. Suspects were charged to court including Jamil Mukulu and the case is on pretrial stage at the International Crime Division of the High Court.
NAMAYINGO CRB 711/2014 – MURDER OF OKUMU RONALD
On the 9/7/2014 at around 1900hrs and 2000hrs at Bugoma village Buyinga Sub County in Namayingo District, Okumu Ronald, a businessman was shot dead. The suspects were charged to court and the case is at pretrial stage at the International Crime Division of the High Court.
BUGIRI CRB 1005/2014 – MURDER OF MACHO STEVEN
On the 3/7/2014 at around 2100hrs at Kigusa ‘A’ village, Muterere, Kitodha road while going home from his shop, Macho Steven a businessman was shot dead. The suspects were charged to court and the case is at pretrial stage at the International Crime Division of the High Court.
NAMAYINGO CRB 537/2014: MURDER OF 44957 CPL OWOR JULIUS
On the 23/5/2014, Cpl Owor Julius attached at Dohwe Police Post in Namayingo District was attacked and shot dead by a gang who robbed his gun. The suspects were charged to court and the case is at pretrial stage at the International Crime Division of the High Court.
IGANGA CRB 2274/2014 – MURDER OF ISIKO
On the 20/11/2014, SPC Isiko attached to Iganga Police Station was shot dead at Kaliro road, Iganga Town. The suspects were charged to court and the case is at pretrial stage at the International Crime Division of the High Court.
MAYUGE CRB 1092/2014, MURDER OF OWOR JOHN STEVEN
On the 8/7/2014, Owor John Steven a security guard was shot dead at Mayuge Maize Mill stores and his brother Daka Yasin was injured in the same shooting. The suspects were charged to court and the case is at pretrial stage at the International Crime Division of the High Court.
NAMAYINGO CRB 091/2015 – MURDER OF OKWARE TITO, THE CHAIRMAN LC III – NAMAYINGO
On the 1/2/2015, Okware Tito was shot dead by assailants at his home in Namayingo Town. A number of suspects were arrested and later took plea at Jinja Chief Magistrate’s Court. Case is on pretrial at the International Crime Division.
BUGIRI CRB 210/2015 – MURDER OF PC BABALE MUZAMIR AND SPC TENYWA KARIM
On the 15/01/2015 at around 0630hrs at Naminyagwe swamp, PC Babale Muzamir and SPC Tenywa Karim were shot dead while returning from guard duty at the residence of Justice Faith Mwondha and their guns robbed. The two firearms were recovered with the killer gun from within Bugiri Town Council. The suspects were charged to court and the case is at pretrial stage at the International Crime Division of the High Court.
NAKALOKE CRB 062/2015 MURDER OF SHEIKH RASHID WAFULA
On 21/05/2015 at about 2000hrs at Nakaloke Trading Center in Mbale Municipality, Sheikh Rashid Wafula was shot dead by unknown assailants. Investigation led to the arrest of Asuman Wafula and six others. The seven suspects were charged to court and were acquitted.
MURDER OF SHEIKH ABUBAKAR MUHAMMAD KIWEWA
On 26/06/2012 at about 2100hrs at Kyanja in Nakawa Division, Sheikh Kiwewa was shot dead in his super market by unknown assailants. 01 suspect was arrested and charged to court.
MURDER OF SHEIKH IBRAHIM KIRYA AND SHEIKH MUSTAFA BAHIGA
On 28/12/2014 in Bwebajja Sheikh Mustafa Bahiga was shot dead by unknown assailants. After the incident, the killers used a motor cycle to get away from the scene of crime.
In 2015, Sheikh Ibrahim Kirya was shot dead in Bweyogerere in similar circumstances. Investigations pointed to the wrangles prevailing between the Kibuli and Nakasero Muslim factions, leading to the arrest of Sheikh Yunus Kamoga and ten others.
They were charged with Terrorism and Murder in the International Crimes Division of the High Court.
Kamoga Mohamad Yunus, Kawooya Siraji and Ssekayana Abdulsalam were convicted of Terrorism and sentenced to life imprisonment while Hakim Kinene, Kakande Yusufu, Murta Bukenya were convicted of Terrorism and sentenced to 35 years impressment. They are currently serving their sentence in Luzira Prison.
SOME CASES OF DEFILEMENT OF STUDENTS/PUPILS BY TEACHERS IN 2019
- WAMALA MIXED SECONDARY SCHOOL, MPIGI
- Mpigi CRB 429/2019, aggravated defilement of Nakisekka Nadia by Wamala Asadu
Nakisekka Nadia aged 17 years old is a senior two student in boarding section at Wamala Mixed Secondary School Mpambire Mpigi District. It is alleged that on the 3rd November, 2019 while the students were for their evening revision preparations, Wamala Asadu the Director of the school called Nakisekka Nadia from the evening class and threatened to dismiss her from school. Wamala Asadu took her to his office, then to Senior three classroom and again to the staffroom where he made her to massage his penis and after just one hour that very night at around 0100 hours, Wamala Asadu through his employee one Martin called Nakisekka Nadia from the girls dormitory and took her to Wamala Asadu’s room who defiled her.
The suspect was traced, arrested, interviewed and both plain and charge and caution statement recorded, medically examined on PF 24A, produced before Mpigi Chief Magistrates Court on charges of indecent assault as guided by the RSA Mpigi, rearrested and charged to court on 09/12/2019 on two counts of aggravated defilement. The matron, one Nansubuga Halima was charged with procuring of defilement and remanded
CID HQTRS E/595/2019, aggravated defilement of Nalubega Chance,
Nalubega Chance 16yrs, a student of Wamala Mixed Secondary School in senior two was allegedly defiled by Wamala Asadu, the Director of the above School.
The suspect was traced, arrested, interviewed and both plain and charge and caution statement recorded, medically examined on PF 24A, produced before Mpigi Chief Magistrates Court on charges of Aggravated defilement as guided by the RSA Mpigi, rearrested and charged to court on 09/12/2019.
The matron, one Nansubuga Halima was charged with procuring of defilement and remanded
ST. PETERS PRIMARY SCHOOL, NSAMBYA
- Kabalagala CRB 1430/2019
Between second and third terms of the academic year 2019 at St. Peters Primary School, Nsambya – Makindye Division in Kampala District, one Nantongo Aaliyah Deborah 10yrs, a pupil at the above school in P.5 class was allegedly defiled several times by one Tuhaire Felix 36yrs, a teacher of the same school and R/O St Peters Primary School Teachers Quarters. The suspect arrested, medically examined on PF 24A, charged to court on 29/11/2019 and remanded.
Kabalagala GEF 022/2019
On the 16th November 2019 following the arrest of Tuhaire Felix 36yrs, a teacher of St. Peters Primary School on allegation of aggravated defilement to the prejudice of Nantongo Aaliyah Deborah 10yrs, nine other pupils opened up alleging that the same teacher had sexually abused them. These other pupils are Namale Mary Jackline 10yrs, Nabirye Precious 10yrs, Nakato Praise 10yrs, Namutebi Judith 10yrs, Nankya Hannah 10yrs, Birungi Karen 11yrs, Sausan Abdallah 09yrs, Nansereko Yvonne 10yrs and Nyamal Bishok 13yrs. All the nine were medically examined and their hymen were found to be intact. The cases are under inquiry.
KING FAHD ISLAMIC PRIMARY SCHOOL, BUSEGA
18.104.22.168. Katwe CRB 1881/2019, sodomy/aggravated defilement to the prejudice of Buyinza Rashad by Muyomba Ismail
On the 14th November 2019, a complaint was received at Kibumbiro Police Post vide SD 07/14/11/2019. The complaint was made by Nakazibwe Mastula F/A 26yrs who alleged that her son one Buyinza Rashad M/J 05yrs had been sodomised by Sheikh Muyomba Ismail, a teacher at King Fahd Islamic Primary School where the victim studies from.
The suspect arrested, medically examined on PF 24A, charged to court on 11th December 2019 and currently remanded.
WINSTON STANDARD HIGH SCHOOL
22.214.171.124. Katwe CRB 1971/2019, Aggravated Defilement of Koburungo Winnie
On 28/11/2019 at Winston Standard High School in Najjanankumbi, one Koburungo Winnie 15yrs, was allegedly defiled by one Luswata Godfrey at the above school.
The suspect arrested, medically examined on PF 24A, charged to court on 12/10/2019 and currently remanded.
REAL INFANT PRIMARY SCHOOL
126.96.36.199. CID HQTRS E/161/2019, Aggravated Defilement of six pupils by Mpagi Didas alias Baluku.
Mpagi Didas alias Bakulu is a pastor/headmaster of Real Infant Primary School, Nakuwadde Bulenga in Wakiso District. The headmaster was offering
sponsorship to the disadvantaged children and majority of them were residential at the school premises in one of the rooms.
Mpagi Didas alias Baluku at a certain time shifted from his home and decided to be sleeping with the male pupils in their dormitory. It is alleged that he could randomly pick these boys, one at a time and sexually abused the children through the anus. The victims include; Kasirye Mahad 16yrs, Kyeyune Imran 16yrs, Kibirige Sebastian 10yrs, Musoke Patrick 11yrs, Bwire Mathew 14yrs and Mugumya Emmanuel 10yrs. The victims were interviewed, medically examined on PF3A.
Scene of crime visited, exhibits of body cream, oil and bed cover recovered and submitted for analysis.
On 13th May, 2019, the suspect appeared in Nsangi Court and on 17th September, 2019, he was committed to High Court where he was convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment.
UGANDA NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF THE DEAF VOCATIONAL AND RESOURCE CENTRE
- CID HQTRS GEF 1273/2019
Between 2018 and November 2019 at Uganda National Association of the Deaf Vocational and Resource Centre, Kiwanga in Mukono District, one Kahard Desmond, the Accountant and Administration Manager of the above school was alleged to have sexually harassed one Nalukwago Rose 23 years and Arinaitwe Godris, both students and one Najjemba Betty 28 years, a former employee in the same organization. That between 2009 and August
2019, one Mbulamwana Joseph an Executive Director of the same school is also alleged to have sexually harassed, one Najjemba Betty 28 years.
The two suspects arrested, two victims examined on PF 3A, file submitted to DPP for legal advice.
CID HQTRS E/525/2019
It is alleged that between 2018 and November 2019 at Uganda National Association of the Deaf Vocational and Resource Centre, Kiwanga in Mukono District, one Wilobo Jerry 25 years, a staff at the school defiled, one Wakube Lydia 17 years and Nabagulanyi Shamim 17 years, both students.
Suspect arrested and examined on PF 24A, victims were examined on PF 3A, file submitted to DPP for Legal advice.
Both cases are still under inquiry.
ALLIED DEMOCRATIC FORCES (ADF) CASES – WESTERN UGANDA
From 1996 to early 2005, the ADF carried several attacks on towns and against the civilian population in the Greater Rwenzori Region (Kabarole, Kyenjojo, Kamwenge, Ntoroko, Bundibugyo and Kasese districts). Many civilians were brutally murdered, tortured, abducted, sexual gender based violence offenses committed against the abducted women and girls and several properties looted and destroyed. Investigations of these cases commenced from the time of the initial attacks and have since been on- going. Some of the rebels captured were charged with treason and were granted amnesty and some are now integrated in the armed forces of the government. However, the leaders including Jamil Mukulu were at large.
Jamil Mukulu was then put on the International Warrant of Arrest. In 2015 Jamil Mukulu and two others were arrested from Tanzania and extradited to Uganda for trial under the Busoga Killings. Brief summary as indicated below:
FORT PORTAL CRB 815/1998:
This relates to the incident of Kachwamba Technical College where 27 students were burnt to death. Two were shot dead when they attempted to run away. Several people of the neighboring Trading Centre of Kihondo were also murdered. This was 8th June 1997. Over 100 people both students and civilians from Kichwamba Technical Institute and the neighboring Kihondo Trading Centre were abducted and forcefully recruited in to ADF. Some returned but others have not to date. Several people were also tortured, seriously injured and their properties destroyed and looted. The
27 students of Kichwamba Technical Institute who were burnt beyond recognition were buried in a mass grave in the school compound. The names of the students are written on it.
CID HQTRS E/215/2015, KABAROLE CRB 1309/1997
On the 17th October 1997 at Kandama Trading Centre, Kandama village in Kyenjojo District, 14 civilians were massacred by ADF rebels and they were buried in three mass graves in the same Trading Centre. The rebels also looted goats, chicken, money and many other properties from the residents. One Wilson Kabagambe (a resident of the same place) was identified to have led the rebels during the attack. He was arrested, charged with treason, but
was later granted amnesty by government and the charge was subsequently dropped.
KABAROLE CRB 1307/1997:-
On the 2nd December 1997, ADF attacked Kachwampali village in Nyaruzigati and killed 7 people. The deceased were all buried in a mass grave under the security of UPDF that had set up an army detach at Kasaba Parish in Kyenjojo district. Still on that very day at the valley of River Muzizi near Muhanga forest, 14 people were killed by ADF. The deceased were found distilling waragi and hacked to death. They were buried at the valley of River Aswa in two separate graves. More two people, the LC Chairman Byamukama Robert and his friend Jack Tafayo were killed on the 9th December 1997 by ADF from this village and were buried at the Chairman’s home in separate graves.
BUNDIBUGYO GEF 04/2015, BUNDIBUGYO GEF 05/2015 AND BUNDIBUGYO GEF 07/2015:
The ADF attacked different IDP camps in Bundibugyo including, Kirindi and Hakitara camps. Several villages including Butama, Bugombwa, Bubomboli, Bundigoma were attacked between 1996 and 2002. Many homes were burnt, over 200 civilians were massacred and unknown number of people abducted. Several of them were tortured and left with serious injuries. Animals and other properties of civilians were looted. Some of the abducted managed to return but others have not. The killings had similar pattern of tying the victim’s hands at the back and then hacked or shot to death while others were burnt to death in their houses. The massacres include; over 30
civilians from Kiridi and about 20 from Hakitara IDP camps in January 1997 and November 1999 – 2000 respectively. Over 40 civilians from Butamba village were on the 16th July 1996 killed. 7 civilians were burnt to death in a house in Bugombwa village in February 1998 while over 10 from Bubomoli village and an LC II Chairman Bundigoma village was shot dead in 1999.
2.34.5. CID HQTRS E/188/2015:
On the 16th August 1997, the ADF rebels attacked St. John’s Seminary, Kiburara, in Kasese district and abducted 21 people; 19 seminarians and 2 workers. Ten students and one worker have since returned while ten died in captivity. Three motor vehicles were burnt, sixteen goats and many other properties of the school were looted. The rebels were commanded by one Dema Kisokorani and Baleke Pedson alias Yusuf. The two were granted amnesty and currently working with the Uganda Peoples Defence.
2.34.6. CID HQTRS E/187/2015:
The attack happened on the 13th November 1996, when the ADF rebels attacked Mponddwe Town in Kasese District and abducted over 200 civilians (women, men, elderly and children). A number of people were killed while lots of properties were looted and others destroyed. The attack was coordinated by Kabanda Abdalla Yusuf.
2.34.7. CID HQTRS E/189/2015:
On the 9th October 1997 the ADF attacked Kinyabisiki village Kyondo sub- county in Kasese District. 19 civilians were murdered from three different homes and buried in mass graves. They also looted many animals and other
properties. The attackers were led by Kibindo whose where about is not yet established.
SUCCESS STORIES OF ANTI CRIME INFRASTRUCTURE
- CCTV CAMERAS
The cameras were very instrumental in identification of suspects in the following cases;
- Katwe CRB 1422/2019, Kidnap and murder of Nagirinya Maria Gateni and Kitayimbwa Ronnie. Nagirinyas motor vehicle was seen on CCTV at Kinawataka being driven by one of the The said pictured was shared by the PRO for the public to identify,
- Katwe CRB 904/2019, Murder of Sekalala Damiano and Aggravated Robbery of Motorcycle. Four suspects charged to court,
- Katwe CRB 1163/2019, Murder of Nkata Godfrey and Aggravated Robbery of Motorcycle at Makindye. Four suspects charged to court,
- Old Kampala CRB 791/2019, Murder of Muwonge Derrick, a boda boda cyclist and Aggravated Robbery of motorcycle at Mengo. This was a private CCTV,
- Rukungiri CRB 1373/2019, Murder of Nuwagaba Laban 22yrs, Mbabazi Rashid 20yrs and Aggravated Robbery of motorcycle, CCTV captured suspect riding the motorcycle at Busega round about at 12:48:31pm. On the 11th October 2019, the two; Nuwagaba Laban while riding motor cycle Reg. No. UEW 430Q was hired by Bwambale Bwacha Joshua and later murdered him
at Katojo in Rukungri Municipality. One Mbabazi Rashid, a boda boda rider in Rukungiri and an accomplice to Bwambale who had done reconnaissance was also murdered and his motorcycle Reg. No. UET 206Y was robbed by the said Bwambale and three others yet to be identified. Bwambale and the three others then rode the two motorcycles from Rukungiri to Kampala and were captured on the CCTV at Busega roundabout. Bwambale was arrested on the 12th October 2019 with the motorcycle UEW 403Q while the three others escaped and they abandoned motorcycle UET 206Y. bwambale was charged to court on 1st November 2019 and is seeking for plea bargain,
- Kiboga CRB 545/2019, Aggravated Robbery of motorcycle where the rider one Segujja Julius, a boda boda cyclist was hacked and his motorcycle Reg. No. UES 008G was robbed. A WT was sent to all stations and command centre sited the said motor cycle Reg. No. UES 008G the photograph of the rider and the motorcycle are to be published by the Police PRO, and
- Mukono CRB 1743/2019, Aggravated Robbery of motor vehicle Reg. No. UBE 040A from Jogo village, Goma Division in Mukono District. The vehicle belongs to one Sumata Patrick. The said motor vehicle was recovered abandoned at Nansana. The suspects still at
Forensic/Ballistic analysis of exhibits
The finger printing of guns is part of the anti-crime infrastructure to enable fight against violent crimes. To date a number of cases have been investigated and have benefited from this capability such as;
3.2.1. Ntungamo CRB 1188/2019, 1213/2019 and 1256/2019 where two rifles serial No. 23061276, CDPN 3061276 with 17 rounds of ammunitions and SMG rifle No. No 1968XU2687 were recovered.
These guns were linked to Old Kampala CRB 790/2019 and Buloba CRB 255/2019 where they killed, Nankunda Nabasa Juliet and Mutyaba Hassan respectively.
- At Lyantonde, SMG rifle No. UG UPDF 4813402 with 29 rounds of ammunition was used in the commission of the following crimes;
- Murder and Aggravated Robbery at Kaliiro Trading Center ‘B’ and Kaliiro Zone 3 Vide Kaliro CRB 065/2019, 066/2019 and 067/2019,
- Lyantonde CRB 293/2019, Murder and Aggravated Robbery,
- Kaliiro CRB 051/2019, Aggravated Robbery, Lyantonde CRB 308/2019, Aggravated Robbery, and
- Lyantonde CRB 311/2019 Aggravated
- The two rifles No’s UPDF 49034042-34042 and CDPN 3000441- 00441-5623-000441 which were recovered from Masanafu under Old Kampala CRB 143/2019 were submitted to the Police Forensics Directorate for analysis.
The results show that:
- Rifle No CDPN3000441-00441-5623-000441 was linked to three incidences
- Katwe CRB 359/2019 the murder of Walugembe and robbery of Ugx 610,000
- Kajjansi CRB 317/2019 Aggravated Robbery of Ugx 18,000,000 to the prejudice of Nalukwago Sanyu, and
- Katwe CRB 935/2019 Aggravated Robbery to the prejudice of Osuma Kaya a Turkish
- Rifle No. UPDF 49034042-34042 is linked to Katwe CRB 916/2019, murder of Nalwadda Harriet and Nakabubi Maureen and aggravated robbery of unspecified amount of
- In the following cases under inquiry, the same gun has been used. The same gun is still at
- Mulago CRB 225/2017 where No. 500 SPC Mubiru Hussein and No. 169 SPC Karungi Moses attached to Mutundwe Police Station and driver Sengozi Edward a driver of Denovo Bakery were murdered at Kalerwe and Ugx. 34,732,900
- Nansana CRB 343/2019 murder and aggravated robbery at Cheap Hardware Nansana where four people were murdered, injured six others and robbed Ugx 385,000,000.
- Kanyanya CRB 152/2019, murder of a security guard, one Okot Balson and aggravated robbery of cash unspecified amount of money.
- In the murder of Nteireho Joshua vide Entebbe CRB 987/2019, the gun SMG rifle UGPOL 563100699022697 loaded with 27 rounds of live ammunitions was already finger printed and was quickly identified as a police firearm issued to Tourism Police under Counter Terrorism
KEY CONVICTIONS SECURED IN SOME OF THE HIGH PROFILE CASES
- Masaka CRB 621/2018, murder of Shafiq Kiggundu, Musinguzi Moses and aggravated robbery of gun & Ugx 450,000,000
On 01/07/2018 at Muto Hardware shop in Masaka District, Shafiq Kiggundu a casual labourer and Musinguzi Moses a security guard and a reserve force were shot dead and cash worth UGX 450,000,000 were robbed. A total of 07 suspects were arrested and charged in General Court Martial and 03 killer guns recovered. All have been convicted by General Court Martial, 04 of the suspects were sentenced to death and 03 were sentenced to between 40 and 60 years imprisonment.
Rakai CRB 123/2018, Murder of Kabuse Ibrahim and Aggravated Robbery of Ugx. 200,000
On the 2nd/03/2018, unknown suspects attacked one Komugisha Naume at her bar in Kacheera as she was attending to her clients. In the process they robbed her of Ugx. 200,000 killing one of her clients called Kabuse Ibrahim, 45yrs.
Sembabule CRB 135/2018, Murder of Kemigisha Scovia and Walugembe Raphael
On the 3rd/3/2018, unknown suspects attacked one Byarugaba William, a resident of Mateete in Sembabule district at his shop, killing his wife, one Kemigisha Scovia, 36yrs and another person identified as Walugembe Raphael all residents of the same place.
Cartridges were picked from both scenes of Rakai CRB 123/2018 and Sembabule CRB 135/2018 and submitted to forensics.
The same group later went on a robbery mission at Kyabakuza in motor vehicle and they were repulsed by the residents. Their motor vehicle number was marked and recovered from a garage in Nyendo. When the owner of the garage was arrested, he revealed that the said motor vehicle had been hired by Kawadwa Matia. On arrest of Kawadwa Matia, he revealed his associates as Serugo Paul, Byakatonda Joseph, Nsamba Julius and Katerega Quraisi.
Two (02) SMG riffles were recovered from the home of Kawadwa Matia under the bed of his mother i.e
-UG UPDF 48014143
-UG UPDF 49031300
90 rounds of ammos were also recovered. Another magazine with 19 rounds recovered from Nsamba Julius
Five suspects were charged to General Court Martial Makindye as follows; A1 Pte Serugo Thomas, a born of Masaka and team leader.
A2 Kawadwa Matia A3 Nsamba Julius
A4 Katerega Quraishi A5 Byakatonda Simon
On 21st November 2019, hearing of the cases commenced by the Division Court Martial at the scene in Mateete, Sembabule where 04 suspects were tried.
They were all convicted and sentenced as follows;
A1 & A2 sentenced on all counts to 50 years on their own plea of guilt.
A3 & A4 sentenced on all counts to 60 years after a full trial. Byakatonda Simon is yet to be prosecuted.
All sentences to run concurrently
CPS Kampala CRB 1471/2015, Murder of Betty Donah Katusabe
On the 21/10/2015 at Pine Car Bond along Lumumba Avenue, in Kampala District, one Betty Donah Katushabe F/A was allegedly murdered by Muhammed Ssebuwufu, Godfrey Kayiza, Phillip Mirambe, Paul Tasingika, Yoweri Kitayimba, Shaban Otuddu and Damaseni Ssentongo. It is alleged that the deceased was kidnapped by the suspects from Bwebajja in Wakiso District and driven to Pine Car Bond. That the suspects were demanding the deceased Ugx. 9,000,000 for the motor vehicle she had taken and delayed to clear the balance. The suspects arrested the deceased and took her to Pine Car Bond on Lumumba Avenue thereafter assaulted the deceased to death. In the process, the victim’s mobile phone valued at Ugx. 300,000 was robbed.
The suspects were charged of murder, kidnap with intent to murder and aggravated robbery of the victims mobile phone. They were convicted and sentenced to 40 years for murder, 20 years for aggravated robbery and 30 years for kidnapping Katusabe with intentions of murdering her. The sentences to run concurrently.
KATWE CRB 916/2019 MURDER OF NAKABUBI MOUREEN AND NALWADDA HARRIET AND AGGRAVATED ROBBERY OF UGX 6
On the 10th June 2019, at around 2200hrs at Zana Cell, Makindye Sabago, Wakiso, while two mobile money operators namely Nakabubi Maureen and Nalwadda Harriet, left their place of work to their place of residence that is nearby, robbers who were waiting in a corridor, shot and killed both victims and robbed them of unspecified sum of money.
Four suspects; Pte Anichan Bob, Pte Mangusho Dennis, Mulunda Stanley alias Salongo Jumba Frank and Ntale Issa alias Ganja were arraigned before the General Court Martial charged with double murder and aggravated robbery. They were convicted and sentenced to death by hanging.
Makerere University 67th Graduation entity scandal
Ms. Magret Lubega Etuusa, the then Deputy Academic Registrar in charge of Certification and Ceremonies Makerere University Kampala in total disregard of the Procurement guidelines, single handedly awarded contracts to various service providers without the knowledge of the University Procurement entity during the 67th Graduation Ceremony in 2017. She was convicted and sentenced to 02 years imprisonment with an option of paying Ugx. 4,000,000/-. She paid the fine.
- Kabafunzaki was convicted to a fine of UGX. 10,000,000/- in a case where he had solicited and received Ugx. 5,000,000/- from the Managing Director Pearl of Africa Hotel.
OPM Fraud Investigations in July 2012,
Inquiries commenced into allegations that Principal Accountant Kazinda Geofrey and others in the office of the prime minister had misappropriated funds worth 50 billion shillings. Most of the cases have issues with accountability and have been subjected to forensic audit by the Auditor Generals’ office
- 189 cases opened for investigations (58 cases on companies and 131 cases against individuals)
- 04 cases have been taken to Court
- 89 cases have been submitted to DPP
- 95 cases are still under inquires
Misappropriation of funds was through:
- Forgeries of signature of the permanent secretary at OPM
- Depositing money in personal account of officials -later withdrawn and given to the PA
- Depositing money to accounts of private companies, later withdrawn and given to PA
- Forgeries of accountability receipts, invoices, delivery notes, signatures of participants,
- Printing of own accountability documents (fuel receipts,)
- Suspected documents recovered and Handwriting expert report retrieved
- Kazinda and several suspects charged to Anti-Corruption
- 01 cases secured conviction where the PA– OPM was sentenced to five (5 years).
- Auditor General forensic audit report to be used as
- Files opened to trace illicit enrichment of
- 31 million shillings recovered as a result of
- Godfrey Kazinda, the former Principal Accountant in the Office of the Prime Minister was convicted by Lady Justice Margaret Tibulya to 49 years for theft of Ugx. 21 billion. His co-accused ministry of finance official was convicted to a fine and two others acquitted. Kazinda was ordered to pay back the Ugx. 19,171,476,505/- to the Government of Uganda and disqualified from holding a public office for a period of not less than 10 years.
ATM Fraud by Bulgarian Nationals:
On 30th August 2012, four (4) Bulgarians attempted to defraud Stanbic Bank using fake Automated Teller Machine cards (ATMs). The arrested were identified as Ivan Ganchev Emilov 37yrs, Anton Ivanov 25yrs, Milen Katsarski 25yrs and Adrian Dimitov 25yrs. They were found with 38 ATM cards, a list of 45 ATM pin numbers, a charger for their improvised ATM and other gadgets. The suspects were prosecuted; 3 were convicted 20 yrs each and one to 10 yrs. They have reappeared for other similar charges in Nakawa court. They travel in different African countries defrauding banks while using fake ATM cards. The same men had ever been arrested in Kenya over similar offences but jumped bail.
- Recovery of Ugx. 7.6 billion from Micro Finance Support Centre.
This was part of the Ugx. 25 billion that had been pledged and given to teachers by H.E The President in 2012 and disbursed to a fraudulently registered Teacher’s Union called Uganda Teachers Cooperative Savings and Credit Union Ltd whose leadership was constituted of family members.
Four suspects have been charged to the High Court Anti-Corruption Division with Money Laundering and Conspiracy.
Recovery of Ugx. 1.48 billion
This was recovered from the bank account of one Sseruwu Jude, a former employee at the Commercial Court forged the signature of Her Worship Dr. Agnes Nkonge, the then Deputy Registrar Commercial Court Division Kampala and other documents and fraudulently navigated through the Judiciary payment System and stole Ugx. 1,681,471,042 from the judiciary account held at Bank of Uganda.
Two suspects have been charged to court. The case is for hearing before the chief Magistrate’s Court at Buganda Road.
Recovery of two motor vehicles from Aruu County in DRC that were stolen from the offices of UNHCR at Mindreba village along Yumbe Road on 15/12/2021.
These are an Ambulance Reg. No. UBK 403M and a Toyota Land Cruiser double cabin UBE 496B. Two suspects have been arrested and charged to court.
Recovery of UGX. 620,000,000/- From an official of the Uganda Publishing and Publication Cooperation.
This was part of the money that was meant for gazetting of the Electoral Commission Election Road Map 2020/2021
Recovery of a Government Ambulance Toyota Landcruiser for Arua Regional Referral Hospital.
The ambulance was stolen by the driver and was recovered in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Six suspects were charged at Anti-Corruption Court, Kololo and remanded to Kitalya Prisons on 21/12/2021
TOKORA OPERATIONS TARGETING ELECTRONICS, MOTORCYCLES AND VANDALIZED UTILITIES VIDE KMP GEF: 284/2019 AND 300/2019
Stemming from the public outcry, operations code named Tokora were conducted in and around Kampala Central Business District on the 24th day of October 2019 and 12th November 2019 by Police and other security agencies deliberately to target shops, workshops, garages and premises which receive and sell items gotten out of crime which include Robbery, house breaking and theft, mugging, vandalisation and theft of equipment from government and private installations with an aim of recovering suspected stolen electronics, Mobile Phones, Motorcycles, electricity transmission materials like wires, metals, transformer oil, railway slippers,
water and telecommunication equipment and analyzing the recovered items and prosecuting the suspects on evidence.
Analysis of evidence on Electronics recovered
Following the above plan, on the 24th October 2019 an operation was conducted and a total of 6,808 electronics and this included 527 laptops, 10 CPU’s, 4 monitors, 38 Hard Drives, 03 Modems, 15 TV sets and mobile phones were recovered for subsequent processing.
Of the recovered mobile handsets,
- 3,031 IMEI Numbers were retrieved and submitted to the respective telecommunication service providers through UCC to establish whether the handsets had been put to use before (other handsets are still being processed).
- 885 IMEI results were retrieved indicating that the recovered handsets had been put to use prior to their recovery,
- Out of 885 IMEI which had been analysed by the telecom companies, 105 mobile phones were stolen,
- 16 had been taken for repairs,
- 46 belonged to phone dealers,
- 62 were swapped lines,
- 450 were not available when contacted,
- 97 could not pick calls, and
- 94 were uncooperative arousing suspicion that they were
Analysis of evidence on motorcycles
Of the recoveries made on the 24th day of October 2019, inclusive were 140 motorcycles, 18 motorcycle frames, 20 motorcycle engines and assortment of motorcycle parts. Police Form 28 were submitted to URA in regards to all recovered motorcycles and parts, reports retrieved and verification process done. The findings are that;
- 19 motorcycles had registration plates that were not registered to them.
- One motorcycle was stolen from Iganga,
- Another one stolen from Bugiri
- One robbed from Kamengo Mpigi district and the rider subsequently murdered,
- 24 of the motorcycles have so far been claimed by individuals who state that the same had been delivered there for repair,
- 61 motorcycles have reports from URA without phone contacts, efforts are underway to have the owners
In this operation, a total of 210 arrests were made, 41 of whom were arraigned in Buganda Road Court, 57 in Makindye Court, 18 were released on Police bond pending further inquiries and 94 were released upon screening.
Vandalism of Utilities
In regards to the operation of 12th November 2019, suspected vandalised and stolen items were recovered, 20 suspects were arrested of whom 9 appeared in Buganda Road Court, 2 convictions were secured in which one Bagonza Patrick a business man and Sebulo Isma at Kisenyi were both convicted and sentenced to 12months imprisonment or a fine of 500,000Ugx and forfeiture of the recovered exhibits to the government of Uganda. 9 other accused persons are still for trial in Court and the rest were released from Police upon screening.
Weeks following the two operations registered a drastic decline in the cases that were targets of this operation including mugging, phone thefts, house breaking and theft among others. This is attributed to the inconvenience caused to the persons who provided markets for the proceeds of such crimes.
AIGP Grace Akullo
DIRECTOR, CRIMINAL INVESTIGATIONS