Uganda Police has arrested nine (9) armed robbers who have been committing various criminal activities in the country including the murder of the Officer in Charge of Kajjansi Police Station C/ASP Bigirwa Joseph.
Uganda Police arrested the nine suspects from different parts of the country. Two (2) were arrested in Iganga, One (01) from Mbale, One (01) in Hoima, Five (05) from Nakulabye in Kampala.
This is a new group comprising of three (03) Sudan Sudanese nationals, one Congolese national and Ugandans that started operating in the country in early January 2014.
The majority of the group is from the refugee camp in Kyangwali and Bweyale. Others had returned to South Sudan after the liberation war.
They later returned to Uganda with guns around February/January 2014 and carried out the following crimes, so far discovered:
1. Murdered C/ASP Bigirwa Joseph, a Police Officer In Charge Kajjansi Police Station on 14/2/2014
2. Theft of boda-boda motor cycles on arrival in Gulu
3. Robbery of two supermarkets in Iganga (Iganga Shoppers and Ours Supermarket)
4. Robbery of Supermarket in Kayunga
5. Robbery of Coin worth Supermarkets in Kabusu, Kampala
6. Robbery of Capital Forex Bureau in Kabalagala-Kampala
7. Robbery of Mobile Money Shop in Ndeeba, Kampala
8. Robbery of GAZ Patrol Station and Mobile Money Shop in Kajjansi
The suspects are:
1. Kabugo Dan ( a Ugandan, Perennial robber recently released from Luzira Prison in December 2013 where he had been charged with aggravated robbery)
2. Tamale Lukwago (a Ugandan , Perennial robber recently released from Luzira Prison in December 2013 where he had been charged with aggravated robbery)
3. Doka Rahaman (Returned from South Sudan and organized the group, he has been the group’s commander )
4. Juma Salim ( a South Sudanese National, lived in Bweyale, left for South Sudan on 2007 and returned on 4th January 2014 as a member of the squad)
5. Oroma David alias Opio ( His father is a South Sudanese, mother a Ugandan)
6. Byamunbu Felexcer ( A Congolese)
7. Bwire Isma (Ugandan, Serial robber, arrested several times for robbery)
8. Kamanda Sinana ( Ugandan)
9. Abdalah Birya (Ugandan)
10. Jamila Nampewo (operated in South Sudan until recently)
This group was organized by Doka Rahaman who recruited three (03) colleagues, i.e Juma Salim, Richard Olanya aka Butcher man, Oroma Opio
Doka linked up with other robbers who had been released from different prisons.
Kabugo Dan and Lukwago confessed to having smuggled one (01) SMG rifle (gun) from South Sudan and linked up with Kamanda, Bwire and Abdalah who were operating in Eastern Uganda and they got two (02) guns in Iganga before embarking on a robbery spree.
The group was still in recruitment process and were targeting at acquiring 16 SMGs Rifle (AK 47), their main mark was robbing Shs 700 million from Bwayuya Sugar Factory in Kaliro District.
This group shot and killed C/ASP Bigirwa Joseph, Officer In Charge Kajjansi Police Station on 14/2/2014.
The group confesses to committing all the above crimes and killing a senior Police Officer.
Oroma David alias Opio was shot and injured by C/ASP Bigirwa during the exchange of fire at Kajjansi.
Oroma was found escaping from Hoima Referral Hospital where he was undergoing treatment.
Richard Olanya aka Butcher man a notorious member of the group is on the run.
Uganda Police recovered three (03) SMGs rifles from the thugs. Two (02) were recovered from Kampala and one (01) from Hoima.
The man hunt for the remaining members of the group and weapons is ongoing.