The Territorial Police in Kira Division and Namugongo are actively investigating an attack on a 22 year old female, victim that occurred during an early morning exercise, by 3 men armed with pangas, who attacked and gang raped her. They also robbed her smart phone, after the sexual assault.
The facts gathered indicate that on the 27.11.2022 at around 4:30am, the female victim, started her jogging exercise, from her home in Namugongo-Buloli and heading towards Naalya. But when she reached the junction going to Kimbejja, opposite Vienna College, she met 3 men, armed with pangas who stopped, grabbed and dragged her into the nearby bush, where they gang raped her. The victim was rushed to a nearby clinic for post-rape treatment and therapy. A serious manhunt of the suspects, based on her description, has commenced.
As you are aware, many people enjoy exercising outside. However, it’s important to be safe and cautious, during all hours while jogging.
Before you leave your home
– Plan your outing. Always tell a family member or friend, where you are going and when you will return, let them know your favorite exercise routes.
– Wear an ID tag or carrying a drivers licence or any other forms of ID with you.
On the road,
– Stay alert at all times. The more you are aware, the less vulnerable you are.
– Run, walk, or bike with a partner or dog.
– Do not wear headsets. If you wear them, you won’t hear an approaching car or attacker.
– Listen to your surroundings.
– Exercise in familiar areas.
– Vary your route. That way a potential attacker won’t get to know your routine.
– Avoid unpopulated areas, deserted streets, and overgrown trails. Especially poorly lit areas at night.
– Run clear of parked cars or bushes. Run against traffic so you can observe approaching cars.
– Trust your intuition about a person or an area. If you are unsure, about an area or feel unsafe, leave immediately.
– Ignore verbal harassment. Use discretion in acknowledging strangers. Look directly at others and be observant, but keep your distance and keep moving.
– Carry a pepper spray, a whistle, a cell phone or flash light.
– Do not be afraid to yell and scream for help.
– For general safety, use the opposite side of the road, while running so that drivers can see you. Establish eye contact with approaching motorists, and be able to make quick judgements to protect yourself.
– Running with bright clothing on and carrying a flash light, can also help runners stay safe.
– Be careful if a driver stops and asks you for directions, if you answer, keep at least a full arm’s length from the car.
– If you think you are being followed, change direction and head for open stores or a nearby house.
– Have your door key ready before you reach your home.
– Call police immediately if something happens to you or someone else, or you notice anyone out of the ordinary. Its also good to check with police about any criminal activity in the area you plan to run/walk/bike
– Remain focused on your exercise and do not lose track of what’s going on around your walk and run with confidence and purpose. If you get bored, running without music, practice identifying characteristics of strangers and memorizing license tags to keep you from “zoning out”.
Going in the Evening or Early morning
– When exercising while its dark, the best advise is to get off the streets and go for the security of a well-lighted outdoor track or consider running on an indoor track or thread will.
– If those options do not work, consider the following as you head out.
(i) Make sure people can see you. Think about where you are going and how well lighted it may or may not be.
(ii) Going out at dusk or at night is dangerous, without some type of reflective devise on your clothing or shoes.
(iii) Watch the road.
(iv) Keep alert. Dawn and dusk offer convenient shadows for muggers and other crooks.
– When you are away from home, you can maintain your regimen, when you travel. It’s important, therefore;
– To check with hotel staff, safe routes for exercise. If unsafe, see if the hotel can arrange access to a health club or gym.
– Become familiar, with your exercise course, before you start. Get a map and study it.
– Remember the street address of the hotel, carry a card with your hotel address, along with personal ID.
– Leave your room key with the front desk.
– Follow your usual safety rules.
SCP Enanga Fred
28th November 2022