Ladies and Gentlemen, I warmly welcome you to this Press Conference whose purpose is to update the country on the general crime situation with emphasis on some murder cases under investigation.
Generally, the security in the country is calm and as a result there is remarkable political, social and economic stability. However, in spite of the general stability, the Uganda Police Force (UPF)continues to register pockets of criminality especially in Kampala Metropolitan Policing Area and isolated incidents in other parts of the country.
Specifically, I would like to highlight on the progress of Police investigations pertaining to the following cases that were reported between 2012 to date:
- MURDER OF ASP KIRUMIRA MUHAMMAD AND RESTY MBABAZI ALIAS NALINYA that occurred on 08thSeptember, 2018 at around 2105hrs at Bulenga A Zone Wakiso sub County in Wakiso District.
Investigations are ongoing and so far 9(Nine) suspects have been arrested. One of them will appear in court today on charges of murder.
- MURDER OF HON ABIRIGA IBRAHIM AND PTE. KONGO SAIDI. It occurred on 08/06/2018 at around 1850hrs at Kawanda Kaayi Zone, Nabweru Sub County in Wakiso District.
- A Forensic audit is ongoing with a view of identifying the suspects.
- MURDER OF JOAN NAMAZI KAGEZI that occurredon the night of 30th March 2015 at about 2030hrs.
- There are specific leads being followed regarding the main suspect.
- MURDER OF MAJOR MOHAMMED KIGGUNDU AND SGT MUKASA STEVEN.
It occurred on the 26th day of November 2016 in Masanafu trading center in Rubaga division Kampala district.
- -Seven (7) suspects were arrested and have been committed to High Court for trial.
- MURDER OF AIGP ANDREW FELIX KAWEESI, NO. 47113 CPL ERAU KENNETH AND NO. 60687 C/DRV WAMBEWA GODFREY.
It occurredon the 17thday of March 2017 at around 0940hrs, in Kulambiro, Kampala district.
- Eight (8) suspects were committed to High Court for trial.
- KIDNAP AND MURDER OF SUSAN MAGARA that occurred onthe 7th and 27thFebruary2018 at Kitiko Birongo village, Kajjansi Urban Division Wakiso district.
- Nine (9) suspects have been remanded to Prison and 3(three) suspects are still on the run.
- MURDER OF WAMALA WILBERFORCE AND SADIQ MUGERWA-THE SHAMBA BOYthat occurredon 3rd February 2012 at Mutungo in Nakawa Division.
- The suspect was identified and is on the run.
- DEATH OF TERASVOURI THOMAS JUHA PETERRI A FINISH NATIONALthatoccurredon 06/02/2018 at Pearl of Africa Hotel.
- Five (5) suspects were charged to Court and the case is on mention.
- DEATH OF SEBASTIANO AXEL A SWEDISH NATIONAL that was registered on 05/02/2018 and occurred in Sheraton Hotel.
- No suspect has been arrested and investigations are ongoing.
- MURDER OF WOMEN IN NANSANA AND KATABI TOWN COUNCIL that occurred between the months of May and September 2017, in Nansana Municipality Wakiso district and Katabi in Entebbe.
- 17(Seventeen) suspects have been committed to High Court for trial.
- MURDER OF SHEIKH ABDUL KARIM SSENTAMU. It occurredon 20/04/2012 at about 2200hrs at William Street in Kampala District.
- 01(One) suspect was arrested and the case is still under investigations.
- MURDER OF SHEIKH ABUBAKAR MUHAMMAD KIWEWA that occurred on 26/06/2012 in Kyanja, Nakawa Division.
- 01(One) suspect was arrested and charged to court.
- MURDER OF SHEIKH IBRAHIM KIRYA AND SHEIKH MUSTAFA BAHIGA occurred on 28/12/2014 in Bwebajja
- 11(Eleven) suspects were charged with Terrorism and Murder in the War Crimes Division of the High Court. Six of the eleven accused persons were convicted of Terrorism but acquitted of murder. They are currently serving their sentence in Luzira Prison.
- MURDERS AND AGGRAVATED ROBBERIES IN GREATER MASAKA
These occurred between January 2017 and January 2018 in the diverse places of Masaka, Bukomansimbi, Kalungu, Lwengo and Ssembabule Districts.
- A total of 13 Murder cases were registered and 24 Aggravated Robberies in the same period across the region.
- Investigations led to the arrest of Galiwango Musa alias Bilibonwa Moses and five others suspects.
- The suspects were charged with several counts of Murder and Aggravated Robbery and are currently on remand.
- MURDER OF SHAFIQ KIGUNDU AND MUSINGUZI MOSES AND AGGRAVATED ROBBERY OF GUN & 450M/= IN MASAKA
It occurred on 01/07/2018 at Muto Hardware shop in Masaka District.
- A total of 07 suspects were arrested and charged in General Court Martial and 03 killer guns recovered. The case is for mention.
- MURDER OF SHEIKHS AND OTHER PROMINENT PERSONS IN BUSOGA AND EASTERN REGION
Occurred between 2012 and 2015.
- -38(Thirty Eight) suspects were arrested and charged to court on charges of murder, terrorism, aggravated robbery, attempted murder and belonging to ADF terrorist group.
Among the suspects is Jamil Mukulu the leader of ADF and Mohammed Matovu alias Mark Ssebaduka and Umar Mutuka.
The accused persons are on remand and the cases are at pretrial stage in the High court.
The UPF re -assures the general public that it will continue to coordinate with other sister agencies, Directorate of Public Prosecutions and Judiciary to fast track all the criminal cases and ensure that the suspects are apprehended and produced in courts of law.
The UPF appeals to the media and the general public to continue cooperating with its officers in providing timely information on any criminal related.
As a reminder, these are the toll free lines that the general public can use to reach us in case of any information;
Finally, I thank you for listening to me.
FOR GOD AND MY COUNTRY
J.M OKOTH- OCHOLA (ESQ)
INSPECTOR GENERAL OF POLICE